Motherwell 0-1 Inverness CT

By Andy CampbellBBC Sport Scotland

Inverness Caledonian Thistle claimed victory at Fir Park as Motherwell slipped out of the Scottish Premier League's top three.

Caley's Billy McKay and 'Well's Omar Daley both passed up chances before Jamie Murphy was denied an opener for the hosts by Kenny Gillet's tackle.

Darren Randolph blocked an effort by Gregory Tade as the visitors pressed.

But Tade soon found the net with an excellent 67th-minute strike and Motherwell could not respond.

Tenth-place Inverness move eight points clear of bottom club Dunfermline while Motherwell drop to fourth, with Hearts replacing the Steelmen in third position. However, Stuart McCall's side have two games in hand.

The match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of Bill Dickie, the Motherwell vice-chairman and long-serving director who died on Tuesday.

Michael Higdon went down in the box as he was challenged in the air by Inverness defender Roman Golobart but referee Bobby Madden deemed there to be no infringement.

Goalkeeper Ryan Esson's unconvincing punch at a corner created a scramble in the box and Higdon's shot was deflected high over the bar.

Gregory Tade celebrates with his Inverness team-mates after scoring against Motherwell
Tade (centre) broke the deadlock to claim all three points for Inverness

Golobart survived another penalty claim after the ball bounced up onto his hand as he slid in to play the ball back to Esson.

Having done most of the defending in the opening 25 minutes, Inverness moved upfield and Greg Tansey's deflected shot resulted in a corner, from which Lee Cox had an effort blocked.

Tade then led a break for the Highlanders and opened up the space for McKay to fire in a shot from the right but the youngster dragged his attempt wide.

Omar Daley, deployed in a central role, danced away from Thomas Piermayr inside the Inverness box and set himself for a shot but the tricky winger blasted the ball high over.

Murphy was next to threaten, the forward driving into the box and rounding Esson only to have his path to the unguarded net blocked by Gillet's last-ditch challenge.

Keith Lasley worked Esson with an early second-half shot but chances were becoming infrequent as the match wore on.

A handball claim against Gillet was turned down by referee Madden.

McKay sent Tade through on goal but the forward's shot was well saved by Darren Randolph in the six-yard box.

But Tade's next effort did have the beating of the Motherwell keeper.

The Frenchman collected Nick Ross's pass outside the box, spun away from a couple of defenders and smashed a powerful drive into the net.

McCall sent on Henrik Ojamaa and Chris Humphrey for Daley and Nicky Law in an attempt to reverse the home side's fortunes.

But Inverness held firm in the final quarter to claim all three points.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories