Hibernian 1-0 Kilmarnock

By Andy CampbellBBC Sport Scotland
Highlights - Hibernian 1-0 Kilmarnock

Hibernian ousted their Scottish Premier League rivals Kilmarnock in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

Eoin Doyle fired Hibs in front on the quarter-hour mark following Tom Soares' set-up play.

Danny Racchi's shot was well saved by Graham Stack as Kilmarnock probed for an equaliser.

Stack was called into action again to block Paul Heffernan's shot and another attempt by the striker as Kilmarnock were unable to force a replay.

Interview - Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon

Having booked a place in the Scottish Communities League Cup final last week, Kilmarnock's hopes of another Hampden appearance came to an end as Hibs attempt to end their long wait for Scottish Cup success.

Soares blasted in a shot that drew an excellent save from Killie goalkeeper Cammy Bell.

From the corner, Garry O'Connor nodded the ball into the net but the referee blew for an infringement.

But Hibs kept up the pressure and took a deserved lead when Soares cut the ball back for Doyle, who turned the ball into the left-hand corner.

Killie had been struggling to get a foothold in the game and James Dayton tried unsuccessfully to beat Hibs keeper Stack at his near post with a low shot from the right.

At the other end, Isaiah Osbourne had an effort blocked following good work by David Wotherspoon.

Interview - Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels

Heffernan headed Racchi's teasing cross wide of the Hibs goal and Liam Kelly's shot failed to test Stack.

A superb through ball by Pa Saikou Kujabi sent Doyle through on Bell's goal but the Killie keeper did well to divert the shot out for a corner.

The visitors then threatened through Racchi's stinging drive that Stack tipped wide at full stretch.

From the corner, Manuel Pascali headed narrowly wide of the Hibs goal.

Kilmarnock were having their best spell of the match and only a James McPake block prevented James Fowler's volley finding the net.

Bell plucked Matt Doherty's header out of the air after the Hibs defender had looped Wotherspoon's corner towards goal.

The final quarter was short on chances as both sides enjoyed good spells of possession without creating too many openings.

Heffernan broke that pattern when he controlled the ball well and fired in a shot on the run but Stack made an impressive save.

Another effort by Heffernan was held by Stack and Killie continued to press into injury time.

But some frantic defending safeguarded Hibs' lead and they progress to the last eight.

Live text commentaryexternal-link