Tottenham & Everton provide late action on deadline day

Everton and Tottenham provided a late flurry of activity in what proved to be a subdued final day of the January transfer window.

But there was no repeat of the big-money transfers of last year, as Premier League clubs spent about £60m, a reduction of 70% on the record level of £225m from January 2011.

Spurs secured a deal to take Louis Saha from the Toffees, with Steven Pienaar going in the opposite direction, while Everton brought in Scottish Premier League top scorer Nikica Jelavic from Rangers for £5.5m.

Leaving Spurs was out-of-favour striker Roman Pavlyuchenko, who was on his way back to his native Russia to join Lokomotiv Moscow, while defender Sebastien Bassong joined Wolves, and Vedran Corluka moved to Bayer Leverkusen on loan.

Elsewhere, unsettled striker Bobby Zamora moved from Fulham to be reunited with Mark Hughes at QPR, who earlier in the day had brought in ex-Liverpool front man Djibril Cisse from Lazio.

Fulham signed Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak from Stuttgart as a replacement.

It was Chelsea who again sealed the biggest deal of the day, signing Genk winger Kevin de Bruyne for a fee believed to be £6.7m, with De Bruyne returning to the Belgian club on loan until the summer.

The Blues also secured a late deal for teenage striker Patrick Bamford from Nottingham Forest.

But there was to be no move for Manchester City's Carlos Tevez, who - barring a move to South America or Russia - looks set to remain on the books at Etihad Stadium until the end of the season.

City manager Roberto Mancini added to his squad with the signing of Chile midfielder David Pizarro on loan from Roma, while unwanted full-back Wayne Bridge left to join Sunderland for the rest of the campaign.

Also arriving in a loan deal on Wearside was former Liverpool defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos, but Martin O'Neill was unable to tempt Kevin Davies from Bolton.

And the Trotters added to their forward ranks in a last-minute deal to take striker and youth-team product Marvin Sordell from Watford, and Arsenal teenager Ryo Miyaichi on loan.

Also in transfer action well into the night were Swansea, who brought in 22-year-old right-back Curtis Obeng from Wrexham.

West Bromwich Albion added defender Liam Ridgewell from Birmingham, and Keith Andrews arrived at the Hawthorns on a free transfer from Blackburn.

And fellow promoted side Norwich added to their back line with defender Ryan Bennett from Peterborough, but the England Under-21 international will be loaned straight back to the Posh.

Meanwhile, Rovers manager Steve Kean signed forward Marcus Olsson from Swedish side Halmstads BK to join up with twin brother Marcus, and defender Bradley Orr moved to Ewood Park from QPR.

The biggest movers in the Championship were West Ham.

They brought in highly rated teenager Ravel Morrison from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee on a three-and-a-half year deal.

The Hammers also sealed late deals for strikers Ricardo Vaz Te from Barnsley and Nicky Maynard from Bristol City.

Meanwhile, Sir Alex Ferguson broke a quiet transfer window to sign 19-year-old Swiss centre-back Frederic Veseli from local rivals Manchester City.

It was also a quiet day for Arsene Wenger's Arsenal, who secured the services of 19-year-old Thomas Eisfeld from Borussia Dortmund on a long-term contract.