Dunfermline 0-2 Motherwell

Motherwell did not have to work too hard to see off Dunfermline and move within three points of second-placed Rangers in the Scottish Premier League.

A goalkeeping error from Chris Smith allowed Michael Higdon's 64th-minute shot to squirm into the net.

And, soon after, Henrik Ojamaa powered in a terrific shot to double the visitors' lead.

Dunfermline, still without a win at home this season, are now four points adrift at the foot of the table.

There was no lack of endeavour from Jim McIntyre's men but they lacked creativity up front and once they fell behind never looked like getting back into the game.

The Fifers opened in lively style, with striker Liam Buchanan testing Darren Randolph from long range after two minutes.

Motherwell replied immediately when Ojamaa shot high and wide after Alex Keddie had blocked Jamie Murphy's drive.

Randolph produced an excellent stop to keep out Martin Hardie's stinging effort and Shaun Hutchinson made a crucial tackle at the feet of Ryan Thomson as the hosts enjoyed a bright opening spell.

David Graham then fired a deflected effort past the post after the Motherwell defence had failed to clear their lines on 22 minutes.

On the half hour, Motherwell broke swiftly, with Tom Hateley's surging run ending with a smart pass to Murphy, who laid the ball to Michael Higdon, however the striker's tame effort from near the penalty spot was smothered comfortably by Chris Smith.

Thomson saw his volley from the edge of the penalty box easily dealt with by Randolph and, at the other end, Smith had to be alert to tip Omar Daley's dipping cross onto the roof of his goal just before the interval.

Dunfermline continued to do most of the pressing as the second half got underway, forcing a series of corners.

But Motherwell held firm without too much trouble and the visitors were gifted a breakaway goal on 64 minutes.

Ojamaa drilled a low cross into the penalty area from the right and Higdon was the sharpest figure in the danger zone diverting the ball in at the near post, although Smith should have been able to keep it out.

Six minutes later, home fans were heading for the exits as substitute Chris Humphrey left a trail of defenders in his wake before setting up Ojamaa to power in a first-time strike from 18 yards.

Dunfermline could not muster any meaningful response and the visitors coasted through to the final whistle, with their delighted fans chanting Champions League songs.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories