The Football Association has not spoken to Harry Redknapp or any other candidate about replacing Fabio Capello, according to Club England managing director Adrian Bevington.
Redknapp is the firm favourite to succeed the Italian, who resigned as England boss earlier this month.
"We haven't spoken to any individual or club at this stage," said Bevington.
"We're just ensuring we go about it in the right way and we are certainly not going to knee-jerk into anything."
Capello was in charge of England for more than four years but stepped down from his position on 8 February following a disagreement over the removal of Chelsea defender John Terry as his captain.
In a press conference held the following day, FA chairman David Bernstein said the governing body wanted the recruitment process to be done "quickly and sensibly", but in a "proper and professional" manner as this summer's Euro 2012 tournament approaches.
Tottenham manager Redknapp says he is "flattered" to be put forward for the role and admits it is the "ultimate job for an Englishman".
The 64-year-old has already received the backing of several England players, including Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand.
England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has taken temporary charge and will lead the senior side in Wednesday's friendly against the Netherlands at Wembley.
Pearce says he is available to continue at the helm for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.
"I am not prepared to answer any questions on who it may or may not be," Bevington told BBC Radio 5 live.
"Obviously we have been talking at length but we have to respect any managers and any clubs during this process and we will do so before we determine the path we want to follow.
"I don't want to put a time-frame on it.
"We do understand when we are without an England manager, and we are recruiting one, it is the biggest story in town - but as an organisation we are ensuring we are going about it the right way."