Kilmarnock 4-3 Inverness CT

Two Dean Shiels goals in the final 10 minutes gave Kilmarnock a thrilling victory over 10-man Inverness.

Jamie Fowler tapped in after 14 minutes when Ryan Esson failed to hold a Danny Racchi shot.

Close-range finishes by Billy McKay after 29 and 35 minutes put Inverness ahead, but Jonny Hayes was sent off for a second yellow card.

Michael Nelson headed a 66th-minute equaliser and Shiels struck twice before Steve Williams slotted a reply.

McKay celebrates after scoring his second goal at Rugby Park
McKay celebrates after scoring his second goal at Rugby Park

Fit-again forward Dieter van Tornhout had to make do with a place on the bench as Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels stuck by the starting line-up that defeated Hibernian last weekend.

But counterpart Terry Butcher was able to include goalkeeper Ryan Esson from injury and Graeme Shinnie, Ross Tokely and Greg Tansey following suspension, with Roman Golobart, Kenny Gillet, Gregory Tade and Jonathan Tuffey dropping to the bench.

It was Caley Thistle who threatened first, with a Ross Tokely header and a Hayes effort from the edge of the box both going wide.

Kilmarnock took the lead with their first attack of note on 14 minutes.

Shiels played in Racchi, whose shot from inside the box was parried by Ryan Esson but only as far as the arriving Fowler, who coolly netted from close range.

Kilmarnock came close to doubling their lead after Racchi's free-kick curled towards Lewis Toshney, whose diving header went just wide of the target.

However, Inverness equalised just before the half-hour after Hayes' cross from the right found its way across to Tansey.

His well-struck volley came back off the bar, but Kilmarnock failed to clear their lines and the ball found its way to Billy McKay, who netted from six yards.

The striker added a second just six minutes later after Kilmarnock had been piling on the pressure.

Caley Thistle launched a counter-attack led by Hayes down the left and he crossed to McKay, whose delicate diagonal header nicked the inside of the left-hand post before creeping over the line.

Kilmarnock's Shiels sent a drive wide shortly after the break, while Greg Tansey forced home goalkeeper Cammy Bell to smother a shot.

Inverness were now the ones pressing and Liam Kelly's timely tackle denied Aaron Doran, while Hayes crashed an effort off the bar.

However, the winger linked with a move away from Inverness in the media this week, left the field after 57 minutes after a foul on Ben Gordon.

Nelson made it 2-2 with a precise back-post header from Racchi's cross from the left.

Shiels jinked forward before firing a shot that deflected off Graeme Shinnie before putting Killie ahead after 80 minutes.

The manager's son cracked in his own second five minutes later from a William Gros layoff, but the scoring was not yet over and Williams pushed the ball beyond Bell in stoppage time.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories