Inverness CT 2-0 Hibernian

Inverness made sure of a 10th-place finish in the Scottish Premier League with victory over Hibernian, who end their campaign one position below.

Greg Tansey found the net with a fabulous free kick on 62 mins.

And, soon after, Jonny Hayes converted from the penalty spot after a handball offence from Matt Doherty.

In a first-half low on thrills, Inverness keeper Ryan Esson made a good save to keep out a fierce shot from George Francomb.

Teenager Paul Grant made his debut for the visitors as manager Pat Fenlon rested several regulars ahead of next weekend's Scottish Cup final.

But Inverness did nothing to test the 19-year-old during a drab first 45 minutes.

This visitors were equally unadventurous, with both teams guilty of some dreadful passing and a lacklustre attitude.

Hibs midfielder Ivan Sproule sprinted clear of an opponent to deliver a low cross towards striker Garry O'Connor but Caley Thistle stalwart Ross Tokely managed to divert the danger.

With 35 minutes gone, a poor Tom Soares free kick was repelled by the home defence but only as far as Francomb, who fizzed in a strike from 25 yards that Esson did well to tip behind.

Leigh Griffiths replaced O'Connor for the second half, with the pair likely to lead the line together at Hampden.

But it was the home side that showed more attacking intent after the interval, Grant making his first SPL save when Hayes powered a shot straight at the youngster.

Inverness defender Kenny Gillet thumped a shot over from 30 yards before Tansey's free kick opened the scoring.

The English midfielder got the ball up and over the defensive wall with pace and power to leave Grant with no chance.

Two nervous clearances in quick succession from Grant then presented Caley Thistle with opportunities, with Hayes shooting too high, while Tansey could only find the keeper's arms.

A second goal arrived on 71 minutes when Doherty was penalised for handball and Hayes scored from the spot.

Hibs skipper Ian Murray, in what was perhaps his last outing for the club, gave his team-mates a fright with an awkward defensive header at the near post area, which flashed narrowly wide of his own goal.

Griffiths burst forward in a rare Hibs attack but was forced wide by Gillet and Esson was able to save the substitute's shot without too much trouble.

There was concern among the Hibs ranks in the final minute when full-back Doherty, one of the few players on show certain of a place in the Cup final, hobbled off after a clash with Billy McKay.

Live text commentaryexternal-link