Monaghan Utd 1-4 Derry City

Derry's Ruaidhri Higgins tussles for the ball with Jason Marks
Derry's Ruaidhri Higgins tussles for the ball with Jason Marks

A second-half scoring spree helped Derry City end their losing streak with a 4-1 away win over Monaghan United.

David McDaid broke the deadlock on 54 minutes and three goals in the last five minutes helped Derry to their first league win since late March.

Stephen McLaughlin made sure of the points when he scored a second on 85 minutes. Patrick McEleney made it 3-0.

Conor Murphy pulled one back for Monaghan before Patterson got a fourth as Derry move up to sixth in the table.

Derry dominated possession in the first half at Gortakeegan but could not break down a resolute Monaghan defence.

Their best chance came in the tenth minute when Patrick McEleney hit a fierce shot from 25 yards out, which Monaghan goalkeeper Michael Schlingermann palmed around the post.

David McDaid was inches away from breaking the deadlock in the opening moments of the second half but he finally broke the deadlock after 54 minutes.

The Monaghan defence failed to clear Rory Patterson's cross and McDaid slotted the ball past Schlingermann for his fourth league goal of the season.

Derry went in search of a second goal and Patterson was denied by Schlingermann who tipped his shot over the bar.

Monaghan almost scored on the break but Gerard Doherty made a fine save from Conor Murphy.

Derry had two late scares when unmarked Monaghan sub Darragh Reynor's tame header from a corner was easily gathered by Doherty and Danny McGuinness hit the post.

The Candystripes kept their composure and finished with a flourish, McLaughlin running on to Patterson's flick-on and finishing past Schlingermann on 85 minutes.

McEleney scored the best goal of the night in the 89th minute. A short corner was rolled across and he leaned back and hit a 25 yard curling shot which left the goalkeeper with no chance.

Conor Murphy grabbed a consolation goal for the home side in the last minute of normal time, finishing from six yards.

Rory Patterson ensured Derry had the final say with a fourth goal in stoppage time.

The victory came just three days after Derry lost the Setanta Cup final to Crusaders on penalties.