Derry City 4-0 Finn Harps

Stephen McLaughlin of Derry City
Stephen McLaughlin scored two for Derry in the first half

Premier Division Derry City proved too strong for First Division neighbours Finn Harps in Friday night's FAI Cup second round tie at the Brandywell.

The in-form Stephen McLaughlin opened the scoring with a 31st-minute tap-in and added a superb volley five minutes before half-time.

Northern Ireland striker Rory Patterson lifted a nice finish over keeper Ciaran Gallagher in the 58th minute.

Barry Molloy quickly added a fourth as Derry cruised into the last 16.

Overall, it was a routine win for the Candystripes who last won the cup in 2006 by beating St Patrick's Athletic in the last football match staged at the old Lansdowne Road stadium.

Finn Harps, lying in the lower half of the First Division and managed by former Derry City skipper Peter Hutton, had a couple of early chances with the best falling to Paul McVeigh who was denied by a save by City keeper Gerard Doherty.

However, once former Finn Harps player McLaughlin had made the breakthrough, Derry's place in the third round looked assured.

McLaughlin was left unmarked when a corner came in and was afforded a simple back-post finish.

That took McLaughlin into double figures for the season and he grabbed his 11th with a superb finish on 40 minutes.

He teed the ball up himself and delivered a sweet left-foot shot past Gallagher.

Patrick McEleney set up Patterson for goal number three and the former Plymouth Argyle front man scored with a typically nonchalant lob as keeper Gallagher advanced for his 10th goal of the season.

Molloy, who had scored two in a League Cup win over Harps earlier in the season, ran on to a Ruaidhri Higgins pass to net a cushioned header for 4-0.

Gallagher made a brilliant save from substitute David McDaid's curling shot as rampant Derry pressed for a fifth.

Higgins then hit the crossbar with a fine shot five minutes from time.

It was Derry's fourth win in a row so they can take some confidence into the 1 June clash at home to Shelbourne in the last game before the mid-season Premier Division break.