St Johnstone 1-2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scored their first goals of the season as they secured victory against a lacklustre St Johnstone side at McDiarmid Park.

The Dons took a 16th-minute lead when Isaac Osbourne fired in low past home goalkeeper Alan Mannus.

Jonny Hayes struck shortly after the restart to double the visitors' tally before Nigel Hasselbaink pulled one back with seven minutes remaining.

The defeat leaves Saints at the foot of the table after three games.

Saints made two changes from the side that drew with Motherwell last week.

Callum Davidson and Rowan Vine dropped out with Tam Scobbie making his home debut in defence and Sean Higgins up front alongside Hasselbaink.

Craig Beattie was expected to make his debut but called off late on with a bug.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown made one enforced change from the side that drew at home to Ross County. The injured Niall McGinn was replaced by Ryan Fraser.

There were some rash tackles flying in from both sides and referee Billy Baxter showed two early yellow cards to Steven Anderson to Scott Vernon.

The visitors deservedly took the lead when Fraser burst down the left and, although his cross was missed by Vernon, Osbourne picked the ball up around 12 yards out to smash the ball low into the bottom corner of the net.

Saints forced a couple of corners on the half hour mark but the closest they came to an equaliser from their spell of pressure was a Frazer Wright header high over the crossbar.

Craig Brown's side came close to doubling their advantage when a Stephen Hughes cross was narrowly missed by Vernon.

Within a minute of the restart Sean Higgins should have equalised for Saints. Craig's free kick into the box fell to Higgins just six yards out but he fluffed his effort into the hands of Langfield.

Dons raced straight up the pitch and doubled their advantage seconds later after a mix-up in the home defence.

Mannus and centre-half Wright got themselves in a tangle and Hayes had a simple task in hammering the ball into the net.

Hayes should have made it three when he was set up by Hughes but his effort came back off the post and Vernon's rebound was cleared for a corner.

With seven minutes left Saints fans were given hope of taking something out of the game when Higgins knocked the ball down for Hasselbaink to score.

Anderson had a chance to equalise but he nodded the ball wide from six yards, allowing Aberdeen to head north with all three points.

Live text commentary

Top Stories