Hibernian 3-0 Dundee

By Brian McLauchlinBBC Scotland at Easter Road

Hibernian moved top of the Scottish Premier League with a confident display against basement side Dundee.

Leigh Griffiths and Eoin Doyle had threatened Rab Douglas's goal with a shot and header respectively before Doyle nodded a Paul Cairney cross home.

Dundee's best chances came from a rasping Jim McAlister shot and a Colin Nish volley that flashed past the post.

Griffiths scored from the spot before David Wotherspoon made it 3-0 with a curling shot into the net.

Hibs are a completely different proposition from the side that had languished at the wrong end of the table for the last two seasons and have already bettered their home win record from last term.

Pat Fenlon's men had previously been a bag of nerves in front of their own fans but confidence is now flowing throughout the team.

Lone striker Nish cut an isolated figure for Dundee, who are in danger of being cut adrift at the foot of the table.

Hibs goalkeeper Ben Williams, with new signing Sean Murdoch now offering competition for the goalie's jersey, had little to do in the opening 15 minutes but when called upon he was in fine form.

Dundee midfielder McAlister had an opportunity when he latched onto a loose ball 16 yards out.

His left foot drive was destined for the bottom corner only for Williams to dive low to his left to tip the ball clear of goal.

The opener came after 29 minutes and midfielder Cairney played a major part.

The former Partick Thistle player burst down the left and his clipped cross into the penalty box was met by the head of Doyle who nodded home his fourth goal of the campaign.

Both Wotherspoon and Griffiths came close to adding to the home tally before the whistle blew for half time to allow Dens Park boss Barry Smith to rally his troops.

However, five minutes into the second half the home advantage was doubled from the penalty spot.

Cairney was tripped by former Hibs player Kevin McBride and Griffiths slammed the ball home from 12 yards.

The impressive Cairney had a golden opportunity to notch for Hibs when he ran on to a searching pass from Wotherspoon, rounded the keeper and looked certain to score, but Iain Davidson managed to get back and clear the ball off the line.

However, number three did come for the home side after 74 minutes and it was a fantastic finish.

Wotherspoon came in from the right to collect a Tim Clancy pass and fired a low left-foot shot beyond veteran Dens Park keeper Douglas into the corner of the goal.

Live text commentaryexternal-link