Kilmarnock 1-3 Aberdeen

By Calum MacdonaldBBC Sport Scotland at Rugby Park

Aberdeen came from behind at Kilmarnock to earn their first back-to-back Scottish Premier League wins this term.

Ryan O'Leary put the home side ahead inside five minutes, converting from 15 yards with his knee.

Aberdeen spent much of the first half searching for an equaliser, but they were level a minute into the second half, Gavin Rae steering home.

Niall McGinn put the Dons ahead, heading in a Ryan Fraser cross before Scott Vernon added a third late on.

Craig Brown's side are now third in the league, behind second-placed Celtic on goal difference.

Kilmarnock looked lively early on, and James Dayton jinked past two defenders before pulling the ball back to Gary Harkins, but his shot was blocked.

Harkins, though, was involved in the opening goal, his initial effort parried by Aberdeen goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, but the rebound was guided over him and into the net by the knee of O'Leary.

Killie continued to press, but the next chances fell to the visitors.

A Fraser shot appeared to strike Liam Kelly's hand but referee Steven McLean was unmoved.

Then, seconds later, the same player crossed for Vernon to head straight at home goalkeeper Kyle Letheren.

Fraser was again involved as he and McGinn combined to create a chance for Gavin Rae, but his effort trickled wide of the near post.

The 25-year-old Northern Irishman then found space inside the box but there was no-one on hand to tap the ball in across goal.

Rae drew the away side level within a minute of the re-start after being put through on goal.

The hosts should have been back in front shortly after, but Harkins shot weakly at Langfield in the away goal.

James Dayton was next, his right-footed drive was beaten away by Langfield as the contest heated up.

Wingers Fraser and McGinn had looked dangerous in the first half and they delivered in the second.

The Aberdeen-born-winger was released down the left and, while his cross was left by the Kilmarnock defence, McGinn appeared from nowhere to head Aberdeen in front.

O'Leary's centre-half partner Michael Nelson almost drew the game level with a stunning volley from the edge of the box but it flew just wide.

The game continued to swing from end-to-end and McGinn had an effort tipped over the bar by Letheren.

The 18-year-old Fraser continued to torment the home defence and his cross was headed just over by Vernon as Craig Brown's side looked to extend their aadvantage.

Aberdeen looked the more likely to add to their tally and Johnny Hayes, a replacement for the excellent Fraser, dropped a ball into the box but Vernon again was off target with his effort.

The visitors did find a third late on, however.

Vernon and Hayes had a neat interchange on the edge of the box before the Englishman curled home a beautiful finish past Letheren to move Aberdeen up to third place.

Live text commentaryexternal-link