Motherwell 0-4 Hibernian

By Andy CampbellBBC Sport Scotland

Hibernian won to move up to second in the league as Motherwell endured a miserable night at Fir Park.

David Wotherspoon's superb strike gave Hibs the lead on 19 minutes.

Steven Hammell's header crossed the line before Hibs goalkeeper Ben Williams was able to claw the ball away but no goal was awarded.

Leigh Griffiths converted penalties either side of Michael Higdon's missed spot-kick for the hosts and Danny Handling netted Hibs' fourth late on.

Pat Fenlon's side now trail leaders Celtic by two points while the Steelmen remain sixth ahead of five more top-flight fixtures on Saturday.

Jamie Murphy should have given Motherwell the lead early on after being teed up in the six-yard box by Henrik Ojamaa, Williams using his foot to block the shot.

Hibs began to threaten and Wotherspoon attempted to backheel a low driven cross by Griffiths into the net but the ball trickled wide.

Griffiths danced away from Fraser Kerr and drilled a low shot across the face of goal moments later.

Hibernian player Danny Handling
Handling rounded off the scoring with his first goal for Hibs

And Hibs took the lead when Eoin Doyle and Paul Cairney combined to set up Wotherspoon 19 yards out and the midfielder powerfully swept the ball past Darren Randolph.

The hosts tried to respond and Chris Humphrey's cross was met by Hammell at the back post.

Williams scooped the downward header away and play continued amid protests from the home side, with television replays showing the ball had crossed the line.

Murphy tested Williams with a fierce drive and Higdon should have done better than fire over from Ojamaa's cutback before the break.

Griffiths missed his kick after latching on to Cairney's long ball early in the second half but the striker soon found the net from the spot.

Randolph was adjudged to have fouled Griffiths after closing the striker down and the keeper was booked before being well beaten by the sweetly-struck penalty.

Motherwell soon had an excellent chance to halve their deficit when James McPake was penalised for climbing all over Higdon.

But the Fir Park side's top scorer lifted his effort over the crossbar and the Motherwell fans' agony continued with the award of a second Hibs penalty.

Wotherspoon appeared to be fouled by Hammell just outside of the box but referee Stevie O'Reilly again pointed to the spot.

And Griffiths confidently beat Randolph again with a strike similar to his first.

O'Reilly made way for fourth official Iain Brines after picking up an injury and Wotherspoon set up Handling to finish with a low left-foot shot in injury time - the substitute's first goal for the club.

Live text commentaryexternal-link