Manchester City 1-0 Swansea

By Peter ShuttleworthBBC Sport Wales
Carlos Tevez
Carlos Tevez celebrates his fourth Premier League goal this season

Manchester City stuttered to an unconvincing win over a battling Swansea in the longest game in Premier League history.

Carlos Tevez's stunner rescued Roberto Mancini's team as they followed up their midweek European disappointment with another lacklustre display.

Keeper Joe Hart had kept the hosts in the game with two saves from Michu.

Mancini urges City to 'keep calm'

But Tevez's 30-yard strike on the hour gave the hosts the three points and sent the champions second in the table.

Both managers, however, will be concerned as each had a star player carried off on a stretcher, Swans goalkeeper Michel Vorm and Blues defender Micah Richards suffering worrying injuries.

Each required lengthy treatment on the field, racking up a record 12 minutes of added time.

But a match in which Manchester City extended their unbeaten home league run to 34 games will be remembered for little else, Mancini's men still seeming shaken from their midweek European capitulation at Ajax.

Tevez's clinical brilliance was the difference as Swansea enjoyed the better openings but the hosts had the ability to penetrate.

Mancini's side had an alert Richards to thank early on as he cleared a dangerous right-wing Hernandez cross with Swansea top-scorer Michu lurking.

The Spanish striker suffered a blow to the head as the England right-back headed the ball away and Michu, worryingly, lay motionless for a couple of minutes.

But Michu recovered and showed no ill effects as 10 minutes later he put the ball in the home side's net.

The effort, however, was disallowed because he was offside when Wayne Routledge played the through ball.

That chance came just moments after visiting keeper Vorm almost gifted their hosts an opening goal.

Vorm's poor clearance fell straight to Sergio Aguero and as the Argentine striker set up countryman Tevez, Swans defender Chico Flores stepped in to clear the danger.

Vorm, though, did not make a telling save until the 38th minute when the Dutch international kept out Tevez's 15-yard drive - a statistic that would concern Blues boss Mancini.

And the anxiety around the Etihad deepened as Swansea wasted two glorious chances to put themselves ahead in the final 10 minutes of the first half.

Hernandez failed to capitalise when set free in the box before Michu was also unable to convert Ki Sung-Yueng's defence-splitting pass as England international Hart smothered his toe-poke.

Swansea must take chances - Laudrup

Mancini's side responded to the half-time Etihad boos, Aguero firing wide within 18 seconds of the restart.

Mario Balotelli, a half-time replacement for the injured Aleksandar Kolarov, also had a sight of goal as the hosts stepped up the pressure.

The Italy international could not get to right-back Richards's low driven cross, although Balotelli wanted a penalty as he claimed Chico pulled his shirt.

Swansea, though, did give their expensively assembled rivals a warning as Hart again denied Michu from a header.

But Tevez ended his eight-game goal drought with a moment of magic, a swerving strike that left Vorm helpless as the ball flew into the bottom right-hand corner of his net.

Vorm was injured in the process and was carried off on a stretcher nursing his groin. Moments later, Richards too required a stretcher after collapsing holding his knee with no-one else near him.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories