Dundee Utd 2-2 Celtic

By Colin MoffatBBC Scotland

A stoppage-time own goal from Efe Ambrose completed a late comeback for Dundee United as they earned a dramatic draw with Celtic at Tannadice.

Miku dinked Celtic in front on 69 minutes and Tony Watt lashed in a second for the visitors, who return to the top of the Scottish Premier League.

United's Gary Mackay-Steven stroked in a composed finish on 89 minutes.

And a Barry Douglas cross clipped the head of Ambrose to sail into the net and ensure a share of the points.

United were much-improved after the interval and deserve great credit for the way they reacted to going 2-0 down with 10 minutes remaining.

Celtic, who edge back to the top of the table on goal difference, must have thought the points were safe and will be cursing missed opportunties to finish an entertaining game off.

With 13 minutes gone, Celtic should have taken the lead when Thomas Rogne headed a gilt-edged chance wide.

United were caught napping as Kris Commons played a short corner and Scott Brown's delivery found the Norwegian defender right in front of goal and only eight yards out.

Rogne, who was making just his third league start this season, only lasted a further five minutes before hobbling off with a leg injury.

United were working hard to deny the visitors space in wide areas but Celtic began to take a grip of the midfield, with the imposing Victor Wanyama prominent.

The Kenyan burst forward to feed Commons on the right and his cross found the head of Watt at back post but the teenager could only steer the ball over the crossbar.

Watt then flashed in a low ball from left that a sliding Brown could only fire wide on the stretch.

The busy Brown flicked ball a neat pass into the path of Commons in the penalty area but Douglas managed to get a toe to the ball ahead of the Celtic forward.

A rare foray forward from United ended with Stuart Armstrong's strike from distance rising too high.

Miku celebrates opening the scoring at Tannadice
Miku scored his first goal for Celtic since arriving on loan from Getafe

With United dozing at a corner again, Brown had a shot blocked before the Celtic skipper spurned a glorious opportunity to score.

Charlie Mulgrew whipped in a great deep cross to find Brown but the Scotland midfielder made a real mess of his header, skewing the ball wide from six yards.

The second half opened with Emilio Izaguirre breaking forward to smash a pass from Watt into the side-netting. The left-back was injured in the process and became the second Celtic defender to limp out of the action.

United ought to have moved in front when Celtic keeper Fraser Forster could only parry a fierce strike from Willo Flood.

The ball fell kindly for Johnny Russell but the forward lacked composure and thumped his shot high over the crossbar.

United threatened again from Douglas's teasing free-kick, with Gavin Gunning and Jon Daly throwing themselves at it and the latter stabbing the ball wide.

The breakthrough came when substitute Miku put a lovely finishing touch to a flowing move from Neil Lennon's men.

The Venezuelan striker gathered a first-time pass from Watt and danced past two challenges in the penalty box before dinking the ball beyond keeper Radoslaw Cierzniak.

The lead was doubled soon after when a poor clearance from Cierzniak landed at the feet of Watt and the Celtic striker raced past John Rankin and into the penalty area before smashing a shot into the far corner of the net.

United were handed a late lifeline when a Rudi Skacel shot was blocked into the path of Mackay-Stevens, who coolly picked his spot from 15 yards.

And the home team salvaged a point that had looked unlikely when a Douglas cross grazed the head of Ambrose and floated over Forster to land in the far corner of the net.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories