Dundee 3-1 Hibernian

Dundee continued their recent good form with a stunning win to prevent Hibernian reclaiming top spot in the Scottish Premier League.

Kyle Benedictus lashed in a great shot on the turn on 21 minutes to set the division's bottom club on their way.

Stevie Milne nudged the ball in from close range and Kevin McBride added a penalty after a foul on Colin Nish.

Leigh Griffiths cracked in a fine goal late in the game but it was scant consolation on a bad day for Hibs.

The victory lifts bottom-of-the-table Dundee to just one point behind St Mirren, who they meet next weekend, as Barry Smith's side made it seven points in nine games.

Hibs, who started the day on top of the league, brought a large following to Dens Park, but the visitors were completely outplayed.

The victory margin could easily have been more emphatic as Dundee were denied a penalty just before the interval when Milne was brought down by Tom Taiwo.

The hosts almost punished some slack defending after 11 minutes, with McBride's long ball confusing Hibs goalkeeper Ben Williams and Paul Hanlon as Milne attempted to pounce.

The striker got between the Hibs pair but could only stab the ball wide.

Former Dundee striker Griffiths, buoyed by his first appearance for Scotland on Wednesday, saw a shot deflected wide off Matt Lockwood.

But it was to be the unlikely figure of defender Benedictus who broke the deadlock with a spectacular strike from 20 yards.

Jim McAlister's corner was only half-cleared by Lewis Stevenson and Benedictus turned neatly to send an unstoppable effort from his weaker left foot into the top corner past the helpless Williams.

Dundee were moving the ball around slickly and were up in arms when Milne appeared to have been brought down by Taiwo just as he was shaping to shoot.

On the stroke of half-time, Iain Davidson was unmarked just yards from goal but headed wide from McAlister's inch-perfect delivery.

However, the home fans did not have long to wait for another goal, with the Dark Blues stretching their lead early in the second half.

Matt Lockwood's inswinging free-kick was headed down by Declan Gallagher and Milne was on hand as he reacted first to prod the ball home from point-blank range, with Hibs claiming the ball had not crossed the line.

The contest was over when former Hibs hitman Nish was brought down by Alan Maybury.

Another ex-Hibee McBride stepped up to smash the spot-kick beyond Williams.

Dundee continued to attack with flair, although home keeper Rab Douglas needed to make two smart saves to deny Griffiths, who also sent a diving header over the crossbar.

Griffiths did find the net in the final minute and it was a fantastic strike from 25 yards for his 13th goal of the season but many of the travelling fans will have missed it as they headed back to Edinburgh early.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories