Hull City 0-1 Burnley

Dean Marney
Burnley's Dean Marney netted the winner against ex-club Hull

Burnley midfielder Dean Marney scored the winner against former club Hull as the Clarets moved up to 13th in the Championship.

Marney drove in a 12-yard shot after he was picked out in the Hull penalty area by Ross Wallace just before half-time.

Hull, who had won six of their previous eight games, dominated after the break as Burnley withstood heavy pressure.

But clear-cut chances were rare as Hull striker Sone Aluko lashed two late chances wide of the Burnley goal.

Hull boss Steve Bruce was chasing a fifth straight win at the KC Stadium but defeat means his side drop to fifth in the table.

Bruce handed a debut to on-loan goalkeeper David Stockdale and the Fulham player was quickly involved with a full-stretch save from Burnley striker Martin Paterson's 20-yard shot in the sixth minute.

Burnley created the better first-half opportunities and Marney, who left Hull for the Clarets in May 2010, flashed a shot wide from 20 yards,

Defender Jason Shackell's close-range effort was blocked by Hull defender Abdoulaye Faye, before Wallace forced Stockdale into another smart save with an angled shot from 30 yards.

The visitors made their pressure pay after 40 minutes. Wallace picked out Marney on the right side of the penalty area and the latter buried into the bottom corner.

After the restart, Hull enjoyed more possession and winger Ahmed Elmohamady crossed for Stephen Quinn to head over the crossbar.

The home side dominated without carving out goalscoring chances.

Robert Koren's 20-yard shot was comfortably held by Burnley goalkeeper Lee Grant, who watched Aluko's two efforts drift wide as Burnley bounced back from two straight defeats.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "There was a good mixture over the 90 minutes between fantastic play and using the ball wisely.

"We had the resilience and team belief in our shape to make sure we came away with a win.

"In the first half we possibly deserved to be 2-0 up at the break.

"They came out in the second half and threw caution to the wind, but I was pleased with how we absorbed it and how we were still dangerous on the break.

Hull boss Steve Bruce: "We didn't do enough in the first half and Burnley were comfortably the better side. If it had not been for our goalkeeper it could have been worse at half time.

"We did not pass the ball as well as we do usually and gave the ball away too much in the first half, and we didn't get the momentum going.

"We changed things for the second half because we had to do something, and we did get better and showed a bit of urgency, but we huffed and puffed a bit.

"When you analyse things, we haven't had a proper shot on target, even in the second half, so we deserved what we got."

Live text commentaryexternal-link