Partick 0-1 Dunfermline

By Kenny CrawfordBBC Scotland
Highlights - Partick Thistle 0-1 Dunfermline

Dunfermline knocked Scottish First Division table-toppers Partick Thistle out of the Scottish Cup in a dramatic tie at Firhill.

The 1-0 win came via a ninth goal of the season for Andy Barrowman.

His first-half header came after Thistle defender Aaron Muirhead was given a red card for a last-man foul on Craig Dargo.

In a game where both keepers shone, Partick's Ross Forbes saw his second-half penalty saved by Paul Gallacher.

Partick Thistle came out on top in the previous two meetings of the sides, both in the league, winning 1-0 at East End Park in August then 5-1 at Firhill in November.

Despite that familiarity, the two teams spent the first 10 minutes of this match sizing each other up cautiously.

Craig Dargo had a lively first half for the visitors, and it was him who brought out a 12th-minute near-post save from Thistle's Graeme Smith after Pars midfielder Ryan Thomson had put the little striker through on the right-hand side.

However, the game changed completely when Partick's Aaron Muirhead was shown a straight red card.

The busy Dargo looked to be in the clear chasing down a long ball, but Muirhead pushed the former Thistle forward who used all his experience to go down and force referee Steven McLean into a decision.

Although the push looked minimal, referee McLean knew Muirhead was last man and out came the red.

Stephen Jordan blasted the resultant free-kick over from the edge of the box, giving Thistle boss Jackie McNamara the chance to get Alan Archibald on in defence, sacrificing Steven Lawless in the process.

Dargo was then in the right place at the right time on 34 minutes, but flashed his left-footed effort over Smith's bar.

However, Dunfermline's goal was just 60 seconds away.

Josh Falkingham caused Thistle problems on the right, jinking and twisting before laying it back to Stephen Husband. His deep cross was headed into the far corner of the net by Andy Barrowman.

On the hour mark, a fantastic double save from Graeme Smith kept the home side in the game.

Again it was Dargo scurrying through the middle, releasing Husband who turned inside and got his shot away from eight yards. Smith was equal to it though, and also the follow up from substitute Joe Cardle.

Thistle then had a brilliant opportunity to restore parity on 72 minutes.

Chris Erskine was clearly felled inside the corner of the box by Dunfermline's Andy Geggan and referee McLean pointed to the spot.

Ross Forbes stepped up, but Gallacher tipped his effort onto the post before the ball painstakingly rolled along the line prior to it being cleared by the Pars defence.

Five minutes later it was Smith's turn to be hero again in Thistle's goal.

First, he punched bravely under pressure from Dunfermline's subsitute Ryan Wallace, then he used his feet to deny a firm Cardle effort.

With Dunfermline pressing for the second and Thistle doing likewise for the equaliser, there was time for one more twist before the full-time whistle.

And that involved goalscorer Barrowman, who received a second yellow card on 90 minutes for a hefty challenge on Sinclair.

Live text commentaryexternal-link