Rangers 3-0 Annan Athletic

Templeton celebrates scoring against Annan
Templeton celebrates scoring against Annan

David Templeton scored twice as Rangers stretched their lead at the top of Division Three to six points by easing aside Annan Athletic despite being reduced to 10 men.

Winger Templeton gave the Ibrox men the lead after 29 minutes, but the home side also squandered a number of first-half chances.

Scotland full-back Lee Wallace was sent off as he conceded a penalty 14 minutes after the break.

But Annan top scorer Scott Chaplain's tame spot kick was saved by goalkeeper Neil Alexander.

And Andrew Little made Annan pay for that miss by firing Rangers into a two-goal lead five minutes later.

Templeton grabbed his second after 70 minutes to put the Glasgow side three more points clear of Elgin City with a game in hand.

Wallace leaves the field after conceding a penalty and being sent off
Wallace leaves the field after conceding a penalty and being sent off

Francisco Sandaza had made his long-awaited comeback from a broken cheekbone, starting along with Barrie McKay with Kevin Kyle and Dean Shiels both missing through injury.

There were fears that Annan might also be posted missing after their team bus broke down en route to Glasgow.

However, the match kicked off almost on time despite the visitors arriving at the stadium later than planned.

McKay had a shot blocked by Alex Mitchell and Sandaza fired wide from the rebound before the Annan goalkeeper produced an impressive save to tip a thunderous 20-yard effort from Templeton over the bar.

A Lee McCulloch effort was just off target and a shot from Little came off the goalkeeper's legs before Rangers' pressure paid off with a lovely low drive from Templeton from just outside the area.

The winger was denied by another good Mitchell save before Annan went close when Chris Jardine blasted narrowly wide.

Lewis Macleod's header forced another decent save from Mitchell at the other end before Annan squadered another great chance to equalise.

Wallace was shown a straight red card by referee Paul Robertson, who ruled the full-back hauled down Jack Steele in the box.

Chaplain stepped up for the spot-kick, but Alexander did well to smother with 60 minutes on the clock.

The dismissal resulted in striker Sandaza being replaced with defender Ross Perry, making his return following a hernia operation.

Despite being down to 10 men, Rangers doubled their advantage after 64 minutes when Little raced onto a Templeton pass before sending an angled drive past Mitchell and into the far corner.

Templeton added to his own tally six minutes later with a low shot from 12 yards, shattering any hopes of an Annan comeback.

Rangers: Alexander, Argyriou, Hegarty, Hutton, Wallace, Templeton, Little (Naismith 86), McCulloch, Macleod, McKay (Aird 76), Sandaza (Perry 62). Subs Not Used: Currie, Crawford.

Sent Off: Wallace (59). Booked: McCulloch.

Goals: Templeton 29, Little 64, Templeton 70.

Annan: Mitchell, Blake, Peter Watson, Swinglehurst, McGowan, Love, Steele (Sloan 75), Jardine, Chaplain, Daly (Donley 75), Ramage (Thorburn 66). Subs Not Used: Summersgill, McKechnie.

Att: 42,135

Ref: Paul Robertson