Inverness CT 2-2 St Mirren

By Charles BannermanBBC Scotland at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium

Inverness stay second in the table after coming from behind twice to draw with St Mirren.

The visitors took an early lead when Dougie Imrie smashed a 20-yard drive past Antonio Reguero.

However, Andrew Shinnie crashed a sensational strike into the top corner of the net to level for the home side.

Steven Thompson restored the visitors' advantage with a header from a Gary Teale cross, but Richie Foran grabbed a second leveller for the Highlanders.

St Mirren in no way looked like a lower-table side with a makeshift defence as they pressed second-placed Caley Thistle hard for a valuable away point in the Highlands.

Imrie came back to haunt his old team yet again when he put the Buddies ahead with just 80 seconds on the clock, receiving Paul McGowan's cross from the left and driving home a diagonal shot.

Owain Tudur-Jones responded with two long-range efforts for Inverness but both were well dealt with by Craig Samson.

And the St Mirren keeper was also on hand to work wonders with a header from Foran after Billy McKay headed on David Raven's cross.

However, the crossbar came to Samson's rescue when Graham Carey's 25-yard free-kick threatened his goal.

Caley Thistle's next chance fell to Ross Draper but his effort from eight yards was scooped well over before Aaron Doran's header was saved by Samson.

The equaliser was a beautifully hit 25-yard shot from Andrew Shinnie when the Scottish international cut in and struck his effort into the top left corner.

St Mirren remained a threat and just before half-time Thompson shot over from eight yards.

But after the restart the Buddies' sole striker was on target when Teale made yet another dangerous run down the right wing and placed an inch-perfect cross right on to his head which Reguero could only help on its way via the crossbar.

With 68 minutes on the clock, Inverness were level again when Doran's original shot was parried by Samson and Foran dived to head in the rebound.

St Mirren desperately chased the winner but were constantly denied and in the space of three minutes substitute Lewis Guy had two goals disallowed for offside, hit the woodwork and had another effort saved by Reguero, who also produced a fine stop from a Teale free-kick.