Motherwell 2-2 Kilmarnock

By John BarnesBBC Scotland at Fir Park

Motherwell came from two goals down to grab a deserved draw at Fir Park as the home fans marked the fifth anniversary of captain Phil O'Donnell's death.

James Dayton set up Borja Perez for Kilmarnock's opener and Paul Heffernan reacted quickly to make it 2-0 to the Ayrshire side in 62 minutes.

Chris Humphrey raced past Rory McKeown and cut the ball back for Jamie Murphy to pull one back for the Steelmen.

And Henrik Ojamaa levelled the score by bending a shot around Cammy Bell.

Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels returned to the dug-out for the first time after his touchline ban.

Both sides made two changes to their starting line-up. Stevie Hammell and Chris Humphrey returned at the expense of Fraser Kerr and Zaine Francis Angol for Motherwell.

Killie had Lee Johnson and Ryan O'Leary replacing injured captain Manuel Pascali and Momo Sissoko.

With 10 minutes played there was a minute's applause for the late Motherwell captain O'Donnell, who died five years ago in a match against Dundee United at Fir Park.

And it was during this tribute that the home side came close to scoring.

Humphrey's cut-back was met by Michael Higdon but his low, driven shot was well saved by Bell.

Two minutes later the visitors found the breakthrough. Dayton set up Borja Perez at the edge of the 18-yard box and the Spaniard smashed it high past Randolph.

Higdon and Murphy then had efforts blocked as Well looked for an equaliser, while a Shaun Hutchinson header was stopped by Bell.

Killie could have increased their lead in 24 minutes but a tremendous goalline clearance by Hutchinson kept out Heffernan's effort.

It was one of Hutchinson's last touches because he went off injured on the half hour mark to be replaced by Adam Cummins.

Tom Hateley hit a couple of free-kicks which went straight at Bell before Nicky Law fired an effort wide of the target.

In the final minute of the first half Perez showed his defensive qualities to prevent Motherwell claiming a leveller.

He popped up at the back post to clear a Murphy volley off the line after the Fir Park striker connected with a Hateley corner kick.

Motherwell captain Keith Lasley had the first effort of the second half but his strike from the edge of the area swerved wide of Bell's left-hand post.

But after 61 minutes Killie doubled their tally as Heffernan knocked home from close range after Randolph had parried a Michael Nelson header.

Fir Park boss Stuart McCall brought on striker Bob McHugh for defender Cummins as they looked to retrieve the two-goal deficit.

Motherwell kept probing and they got themselves back in the game 10 minutes later.

Humphrey's cross was fired in by Law and Murphy turned the ball past Bell from two yards.

Three minutes later Motherwell were level after a terrific run and shot by Ojamaa curled in off the left-hand post.

The home side were transformed and they continued to force the play as Murphy hit the side netting and McHugh had a header deflected wide.

But there was to be no winner and for the fourth time in their last six meetings it ended in a draw.


Join the conversation


Top Stories