Dundee 1-3 Aberdeen

By Brian McLauchlinBBC Scotland at Dens Park

A Niall McGinn hat-trick secured all three points for Aberdeen to leave Dundee rooted at the bottom of the Scottish Premier League table.

The Dons had been the better side during a first half in which they lost Andrew Considine to serious injury.

But McGinn forced in the opener a minute after the break.

McGinn headed the second from another Jonny Hayes cross and, after Mark Stewart replied from close range, forced his 14th goal of the season.

Within a minute of the game starting, Dundee came close to scoring the opener.

Colin Nish flicked on a Matt Lockwood throw in and Nicky Riley, who started in place of Ryan Conroy, fired a left foot shot narrowly wide with Jamie Langfield rooted to his line.

Aberdeen defender Andrew Considine lies injured at Dens Park
Aberdeen defender Andrew Considine lies injured at Dens Park

Cammy Smith had come into the Dons starting line-up along with fellow youngster Jamie Masson as Rory Fallon and Josh Magennis dropped out and the teenage striker was inches away from finding the net with a left-foot shot.

Aberdeen captain Gavin Rae then fired just over when he found time and space on the ball 30 yards out.

The Dons were beginning to take control of the game and defender Considine was next to go close with a header from a Hayes corner.

Hayes was again the provider for Scott Vernon, who volleyed the ball over the crossbar from six yards out.

Dundee were restricted to hitting Aberdeen on the break and Nish had a chance with a header at the back post, but it was a poor effort that was high over the bar.

Aberdeen were forced into a change before after half an hour when Considine, who had returned to the side after losing half a stone in eight through illness, was carried off on a stretcher after he suffered what looked like a nasty leg injury, with Russell Anderson being forced into the action after being rested on the bench.

Nish was inches away from finding the back of the net for Dundee with a free-kick from 30 yards

Chances were coming thick and fast at both ends and Hayes disposed Matt Lockwood before thundering a swerving shot just wide.

Aberdeen started the second half in whirlwind fashion and took the lead in the opening minute.

The Dons took a short corner before Hayes swung the ball into the six-yard box, where top scorer McGinn knocked the ball into the net from close range.

That goal settled the visitors and the Dons fans among the crowd, in excess of 9000, were in fine voice when McGinn notched number two.

Again Hayes was the provider with a cross in from the right, the glancing header from McGinn giving Douglas no chance in the Dundee goal.

Dundee were given a lifeline with eight minutes left for play when the Aberdeen defence failed to clear and Stewart had space and time to fire the ball home.

McGinn, though, would not be denied his hat-trick and, with 90 seconds left for play, he bundled the ball over the line after Douglas parried a shot over his own head, the former Celtic striker the first to react to knock the ball home.


Join the conversation

These comments are now closed.


Top Stories