St Mirren 1-1 Kilmarnock

By Paul BarnesBBC Scotland

St Mirren salvaged a point against Kilmarnock in a match which featured a penalty for each side.

Liam Kelly converted for Killie on five minutes following Jon Robertson's challenge on Paul Heffernan.

Steven Thompson had his share of first-half chances and Paul Dummett came close for St Mirren with a second-half shot that Cammy Bell saved.

Paul McGowan levelled from the spot on 68 minutes, after Dougie Imrie had been felled by Mark O'Hara.

A blustering wind welcomed the players to Paisley, with conditions threatening to spoil the spectacle for the 6,347 supporters who piled into St Mirren Park.

However, the first piece of goalmouth action came in the fourth minute when James Dayton pierced through the home side's midfield and drove into the box. As he crossed the 18-yard line Robertson was deemed to have halted his run and referee Brian Colvin awarded a penalty.

Kelly stepped up and smacked the ball beyond Samson's reach for his sixth goal of the season.

Dayton caused further panic in the Saints defence ten minutes later. Surging to the goal-line, he sent a teasing ball across the six yard box, but the centre failed to meet a Killie shirt.

The remainder of the first period was dominated by the home side who created a wealth of opportunities.

Thompson, who came into the game enjoying a purple patch in front of goal, first curled a tremendous left-footed effort towards the top corner, but Bell somehow clawed the ball behind for a corner.

He then watched Lewis Guy's flicked header fall into his path, but with Bell committed, the striker rushed his finish and it rolled wide.

Eight minutes from the break Danny Lennon's men had another opportunity to level and it was Thompson again, this time with his head. The front man got on the end of David Barron's pass but could only nod into Bell's hands from seven yards.

Few could believe the Ayrshire side had the upper hand as the players made their way up the tunnel at half-time, given the chances St Mirren had to equalise.

It was more of the same when they returned after the interval.

Dummett had a wonderful opportunity from close range, but his header from Gary Teale's cross was tipped over by Bell.

Killie's goalkeeper had to be alert again on the hour mark, denying Barron's long range effort.

But for all their endeavour going forward, St Mirren were eventually rewarded after 65 minutes.

Imrie, a half time substitute, took up possession just inside the box. O'Hara dived in to clear the ball, but referee Colvin - after a lengthy delay - pointed to the spot. The award appeared soft, with several Killie players remonstrating with the officials.

When calm had been restored Paul McGowan, recently back in the side from an extended period of injury, rolled past Bell from 12 yards.

The visitors then came back into the game and, urged on by a vocal Kenny Shiels on the touchline, tried to secure more possession in the Saints' half.

While at the other end, Ryan O'Leary and Michael Nelson, who were a tower of strength all afternoon at the heart of Killie's defence, denied the Saints time and again.

Barron had another shot from distance that crept just wide, but that was to be the final act in an entertaining 90 minutes of football in Paisley.