Demba Ba: Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is hoping he will stay
Last updated on .From the section Football
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says he is still hoping striker Demba Ba will remain at the club after January.
The Senegal striker's representatives held talks with Chelsea on Sunday, later described as unproductive.
Ba, 27, has a £7m-release clause in his Magpies contract which is due to become active again on 1 January.
"I still think it's even whether he will stay or go. I'd like to think he will stay in this window. That will be his decision," Pardew told BBC Sport.
Newcastle have spent recent months attempting to negotiate a new contract with Ba which would remove the clause, and that deal remains on the table.
However, Pardew insisted the club would not do so indefinitely.
"The situation with that is that it's getting close to the point where we say 'no more', but the offer is still there.
"The contract is what it is, we are all aware of that, and for me as the manager I need it resolved as quickly as possible. That's the best situation for our fans and for the club."
Pardew has also hit out at the network of people representing Ba, who has 13 goals in 21 appearances this season.
"In some respects I feel a little bit sorry for Demba," added Pardew.
"There are people out there fuelling this who are not actually involved or want to be involved and that's the sort of world that we are in."
Ba was also involved in a dispute with Hoffenheim as he looked to secure a move to the Premier League during the 2011 January transfer window.
The German club eventually agreed to let their striker move to Stoke in a reported £6m deal, but Ba failed a medical, according to the Potters, before eventually securing a move to West Ham later that month.
The forward scored seven goals in 13 games, but invoked a release clause in his contract after the Hammers were relegated. The Magpies needed a player to fill the void left by Andy Carroll, who had earlier joined Liverpool for £35m, and signed Ba on a three-year deal in June 2011.
The Senagalese player scored 16 goals during his first full season as Newcastle finished fifth and qualified for the Europa League.
He is the club's top scorer this season and his departure would leave just Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi as the only senior strikers at the club. The pair have scored eight goals between them during the current campaign.
Very ill informed opinion of Ba.
2005–2006 Rouen 26 (22)
2006–2007 Mouscron 12 (8)
2007–2011 1899 Hoffenheim 97 (37)
2011 West Ham United 12 (7)
His goal scoring record shows that he is more likely to score goals wherever he plays.
Silly comment to make.
Who is fueling this speculation? Whom does it serve?
This is a non story driven by money and greed.
Maybe better for Cisse to partner another striker.
Our main problem (wee little club we are) is our defence, had that been better last 2 games sir pratski would have possibly been dribbling from the other side of his mouth. Thats our worry not Ba going.
No player in the world is worth £122m, not even Messi, or Ronaldinho during his prime time. Torres isn't worth £50m and Carroll isn't worth £35m. At one point AC Milan wanted Ronaldo for £185m, that speaks for itself. Yes I appreciate that I support a team who's somewhat been overran by money, however, money has ruined football, and has ruined the ego and rep of footballers'.
Whether you were trying to be witty or not is irrespective of the facts that it wasn't very witty and was indeed a silly comment to make.
@ 17 - Only thing I disagree with (as unfortunately it pains me to agree that we punched above our weight last season, lack of strength in depth has exposed us this season) is that he'd be happy on the bench.
There more interested in themselves than the players the represent.
Not sure if Motson classes this as 'not long ago', 'delusional' or 'big' but from what i understand it was quite a night... go on, check it out...
I mean he's not been coveted long and he's 27. He should stay and be a star rather than leave and fade away, eg: Charlie Adam, Adebayor, etc.
If he leaves for a "big team" he won't be there long. You mark my words ;)
Ba needs to man up and make a decision on what he needs, and stop listening to others.
Just the fact he/or his agents spoke to Chelsea speaks volumes, that he wants to go.
Just let him go and warm the bench somewhere else,where he wont get half the attention he gets a Newcastle.
What an ill informed comment with just as touch of racism.
Senegal failed to qualify for the finals so both Ba and Cisse are available this January. Also, after this year the Cup moves to a biennial format rather than an annual one, still a pain to lose the players but much better.
I wonder if the questions over Ba's future has been disrupting the team this year...???
I'm not sure he wants to leave.
It seems to me his agents are trying to get all they can, but they themselves are in a no win situation (cant get a new club because of his knee, and Newcastle are not going to be held to ransom).
Just a thought..!