Hull City 1-3 Sheffield Wed

Reda Johnson

Sheffield Wednesday beat Hull to move out of the Championship drop zone and end the Tigers' nine-game unbeaten run.

Reda Johnson headed in Rhys McCabe's free-kick to put the Owls ahead.

Robert Koren's header from Ahmed Elmohamady's cross made it 1-1 but Hull's Eldin Jakupovic fumbled a Miguel Llera corner into his own net.

Michail Antonio extended Owls' lead when he finished off a counter-attack, before Wednesday's Chris Kirkland saved a late penalty from Jay Simpson.

The visitors, who had not scored in their previous three games, went ahead in the 24th minute through Johnson's header.

That goal was his first since 19 September and he nearly grabbed a second but was denied by Jakupovic, who pushed his shot wide.

But Hull could have equalised just before half-time when Sone Aluko played a pass through to Koren, who only had Kirkland to beat but the former England goalkeeper denied him.

The Owls thought they had doubled their lead when Giles Coke prodded the ball past Jakupovic, but the goal was ruled out as referee Mark Haywood thought the keeper had the ball under his control, although replays showed he did not.

That decision looked to have proved costly as Hull equalised in the 83rd minute through Koren's header.

However, Wednesday regained the lead three minutes later with Jakupovic's own goal. The goalkeeper fumbled Llera's corner over the goal-line and was then caught by Johnson, who came in to challenge.

There was a lengthy delay as the goalkeeper received treatment on the pitch for a head injury before he was carried off on a stretcher, while wearing a neck brace.

Jakupovic's replacement, Mark Oxley, was soon beaten as the Owls counter-attacked and Antonio rounded Oxley to put Wednesday 3-1 ahead.

Hull had a chance to pull a goal back in injury-time when Jeremy Helan fouled Jay Simpson, who saw his spot-kick saved by Kirkland.

Hull City manager Steve Bruce said:

"Eldin Jakupovic is going to be taken to hospital and I hope he will be OK, but he's not in a good state. I just hope it is not too serious.

"He's suffered a facial injury - I think it's around his jaw or eye socket. We will have to wait to see what the reports are from hospital.

"We had a wonderful opportunity tonight against Sheffield Wednesday but we didn't hit the heights. We probably made more mistakes tonight in 90 minutes than the previous three months. That's the way the Championship is.

"Overall I think Sheffield Wednesday earned the win. We've been on a hell of a good run but had our backsides kicked tonight. We've got to dust ourselves down and get on with it."

Sheffield Wednesday manager Dave Jones said:

"We came here with a game plan and it has worked and we limited them and they got frustrated.

"I thought we deserved the win and we had a goal disallowed but I couldn't see why the referee has disallowed it.

"We're going to enjoy the result, but we came here, worked hard, had good chances and everything we did came off.

"We have a long way to go, but we have good young players and they have worked their socks off."