Kilmarnock 2-0 Motherwell

By John BarnesBBC Scotland at Rugby Park

Kilmarnock made it back-to-back home wins as they denied Motherwell the opportunity to move second in the Scottish Premier League.

A shot from Ross Barbour took a huge deflection off Stevie Hammell to give the home side an early lead.

Motherwell created a host of chances but could not find a way through before William Gros headed in on 71 minutes.

The visitors unravelled in the closing stages, with Fraser Kerr and skipper Keith Lasley both sent off.

The home side started well with their neat passing game evident, but it took a touch of good fortune to give them the lead.

Barbour drilled in a low shot from 25 yards which Hammell turned into his own net.

That blow seemed to spark Motherwell into action as they peppered the Killie goal with efforts looking for the equaliser.

Lasley turned a Nicky Law cross just wide then a few minutes later a Shaun Hutchinson header was cleared off the line by Gros.

The Killie striker took up a good position defending a set piece and he repeated the feat a short while later from the same player.

Kyle Letheren, deputising for the injured Cammy Bell, then made a point-blank stop from Simon Ramsden as Well kept up the pressure.

Hammell then tried to make up for his earlier error with a 25-yard effort which Letheren saved at the second attempt.

Lasley was the next to fail in front of goal for the visitors latching onto a Henrik Ojamaa cross.

At the interval Killie replaced Barbour with recent signing Sammy Clingan.

This was only Motherwell's second game in 37 days and they began the second half again in offensive fashion.

From a 25-yard free-kick Hateley struck his effort straight at Letheren.

But in 71 minutes Kilmarnock added a second with a terrific header from Gros who met James Dayton's perfect cross and left keeper Darren Randolph helpless.

That looked to have knocked the stuffing out of Well as Killie tightened up and looked the greater threat.

Motherwell's miserable day was completed with two red cards in the last 10 minutes.

Kerr came on as a substitute for Hateley in 80 minutes and was sent off five minutes later for a challenge on Dayton.

Lasley followed him up the Rugby Park tunnel a minute from the end for a similar challenge on the same player.

Top Stories