Paolo Di Canio: Swindon boss has 13 players for Colchester clash

Media playback is not supported on this device

Boss Di Canio 'alone' at Swindon

Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio has said he may only have 13 players to choose from for Tuesday's game with Colchester.

League One's fourth-placed side, who are in the process of being sold, could only name six substitutes for their 1-1 draw with Crawley on Saturday because of illness and injury.

Di Canio said: "We are going to travel with 14, and we have some problems with a player who will go on the bench.

"I hope we have 14 because there is a possibility that there will be 13."

Defender Joe Devera and young striker Miles Storey have been struggling with hamstring problems in recent weeks, while Troy Archibald-Henville is a long-term absentee.

Swindon had been relying on youth team members to bolster their squad but Louis Thompson has suffered a knock and Aaron Oakley has been called up for international duty with Wales Under-21s.

Di Canio opted against extending the loan deal of Norwich striker Chris Martin, and the Town manager said using out-of-favour Luke Rooney or Lee Cox was not an option.

The Italian added: "A club who is close to the top travelled with 17 players on Saturday, with a kid not really fit and four players with a virus.

"We have now some little problems but I don't have many options so I have to hope my players are ready to play, even with some problems."

Di Canio's future dominated the headlines over the weekend after he released a statement saying his position was untenable because of off-field issues.

Swindon were put up for sale in a bid to avoid administration and although a local consortium has agreed a deal, it has yet to be approved.

With the club needing instant funds, they sold winger Matt Ritchie to Bournemouth for £500,000 - a deal which Di Canio insists he knew nothing about.

Di Canio attempted to sign three players on transfer deadline day - Marlon Pack from Cheltenham and Charlton duo Bradley Wright-Phillips and Danny Green - but the moves were blocked by the Football League because Swindon's takeover was not complete.

And Di Canio insists he has not been in contact with the board regarding their current situation: "I'm here and working alone, with my players and staff.

"I haven't met with them in the last four months. I'm working and, to be honest, I don't want to see anyone at the moment. There are too many lies."

Top Stories