Inverness CT 1-1 Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock's Borja Perez scored a last minute equaliser against the run of play to rescue a point at Inverness CT.

Caley Thistle's Billy McKay and Andrew Shinnie went close before Nick Ross netted Aaron Doran's cross.

Two further Andrew Shinnie efforts were denied either side of half-time as the Highlanders dominated.

Inverness had a penalty claim turned down when Mo Sissoko barged McKay before James Dayton cut-back for Perez to level from six yards at the death.

This was the second meeting within a fortnight for these two sides after Kilmarnock had knocked Inverness CT out of the Scottish Cup at Rugby Park earlier in February.

Keen to consolidate their position of second in the Scottish Premier League, Caley Thistle threatened early as McKay got his head to a corner but the ball went comfortably over Kyle Letheren's crossbar.

Soon after, Andrew Shinnie thumped a 30-yard effort goal-ward and Letheren, deputising for the injured Cammy Bell, saved well high to his left.

However on 21 minutes the host's pressure paid off.

Down the left, Andrew Shinnie fed Doran who got the better of Killie's Ross Barbour and dinked the ball in for Ross to knock home from six yards.

It was Ross's third goal of the season and the hesitation in the visitors' defence certainly helped him get it.

On the half hour mark, Inverness looked to double their lead as Graeme Shinnie flighted in a good cross for his brother Andrew, but the playmaker could not keep his volley down.

Doran then had another opportunity for the Highlanders as half-time approached, cutting inside and shooting to force Letheren into an unconvincing save wide.

Kilmarnock, as an attacking force, had been a non-event in the first-half and that theme continued at the beginning of the second.

Ross's shot was deflected wide then minutes later an Andrew Shinnie curler went just the wrong side of Letheren's post.

Killie then almost hit self-destruct as Mo Sissoko lost out to McKay and then barged the Northern Irishman in the box.

Terry Butcher's men screamed for what seemed a certain penalty but referee Bobby Madden said no.

With 15 minutes remaining, the Shinnie brothers combined again, this time Andrew setting up Graeme to flash a shot across goal and wide.

Graeme Shinnie should have finished it off as he went clean through five minutes later, but Letheren saved excellently to keep his side hopeful of a point.

And, in the dying minutes, Kilmarnock did indeed steal that point in their only meaningful attack of the game.

Dayton finally provided some forward flair and the ball was pulled back for Perez to stroke home from close range, meaning Killie move to sixth in the SPL.

Top Stories