Aberdeen 1-0 Dundee

Niall McGinn's 17th goal of the season gave Aberdeen their first win of 2013 as Scottish Premier League bottom club Dundee succumbed to another defeat.

McGinn beat Rab Douglas from long range to put the Dons ahead shortly after Jamie Langfield had denied Dundee's Brian Easton.

Jim McAlister struck the frame of the Aberdeen goal in the closing stages of the first half.

Dundee continued to press in the second period but could not make it count.

Craig Brown's side move up to fifth - level on points with St Johnstone - while Dundee remain 15 points adrift of St Mirren ahead of five more SPL fixtures on Saturday.

Aberdeen claimed unsuccessfully for handball early on when Scott Vernon's attempt was blocked by Gary Irvine in the Dundee penalty area.

The visitors began to take the game to the Dons and Langfield did well to block Easton's dipping volley.

Having weathered some more Dundee pressure, the hosts broke and got the ball to McGinn in the 18th minute.

The Northern Ireland international burst forward from his own half, cut inside past two defenders and beat Rab Douglas from around 30 yards.

Dundee midfielder Jim McAlister
Dundee's McAlister twice came close to levelling

Dundee tried to respond but Gary Harkins' effort was well over.

However, McAlister did come close to an equaliser when his shot on the run rebounded off the crossbar shortly before the break.

The midfielder came close again early in the second half, his low strike pushed round the post by Langfield.

McGinn was unable to match his first-half accuracy when he stepped up to take a 25-yard free-kick, the prolific forward blazing over.

Dundee's Ryan Conroy was off balance as he tried a shot but the visitors were still finding ways to trouble the Dons defence.

At the other end, McGinn found no takers when he played a teasing ball across the face of goal.

The visitors enjoyed territorial advantage in the final 20 minutes without really troubling Langfield.

And Aberdeen saw out their first win since beating Dundee in December with 10 men, Isaac Osbourne coming off injured after all three substitutions had been made.