Hibernian 3-3 St Mirren

By Brian McLauchlinBBC Scotland at Easter Road

Leigh Griffiths' 27th goal of the season gave Hibernian a point in a thrilling six-goal draw against St Mirren, who could still be relegated.

Griffiths hit the top corner to give Hibs the lead but St Mirren levelled through Esmael Goncalves.

Ross Caldwell edged the hosts back in front before a Marc McAusland double put Saints in the driving seat.

But Griffiths turned in the equaliser from close-range despite cries of offside from the visitors.

Dundee's win at home to Hearts means they are eight points adrift of 11th-place St Mirren with three games left to play in the Scottish Premier League.

Hibs, meanwhile, again relied on the inspiration of Griffiths to rescue something from a match they were losing with five minutes of normal time remaining.

Saints had the first attempt on goal when Hibs captain James McPake's headed clearance fell to Gary Teale, whose volley was just over the crossbar of Ben Williams in the home goal.

Hibs had lots of possession and Eoin Doyle's effort from 10 yards, after the Saints defence failed to clear a corner, sailed over.

The home side began to take control with Griffiths having a major influence on the game.

The Easter Road side's top scorer sent a free kick across the six yard box but both Doyle and Paul Hanlon failed to connect.

St Mirren players congratulate Marc McAusland after his first goal in the match
St Mirren players congratulate Marc McAusland after his first goal in the match

Tom Taiwo then played in Griffiths inside the 18-yard box but his shot on the angle was well blocked by Craig Samson in St Mirren's goal.

The breakthrough came on the half hour mark and once again it was Griffiths who found the net, ghosting in from the right wing to fire home an unstoppable high shot from 16 yards.

Doyle passed up a glorious opportunity to double Hibs' advantage before the break. Danny Handling cut the ball back to the Irishman who thundered the ball high over the crossbar from close range.

The home side continued to dominate into the second period.

Handling found himself in space just outside the 18 yard box but blasted the ball wide of the target.

Saints boss Danny Lennon decided to make a change and replaced John McGinn with Sam Parkin.

And against the run of play the visitors found themselves on level terms.

Teale broke away down the right and cut the ball back for Goncalves, who passed to Thompson before his blocked rebounded for the Portuguese striker to despatch low into the corner.

Hibs substitute Caldwell then put the Edinburgh side in front with his first touch. He fired in a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box that flew past Samson and into the bottom corner.

Saints equalised for the second time when McAusland headed home his second of the season and then the defender sensationally put the Paisley side in front with eight minutes left, finishing off good work by Paul McGowan.

But Hibs talisman Griffiths fired home his 27th of the season after David Wotherspoon delivered a cross into the six-yard box.