Dundee 1-1 Aberdeen

Dundee have been relegated from the Scottish Premier League after failing to beat Aberdeen at Dens Park.

The Dark Blues went ahead through Jim McAlister's fist-half volley into the top corner of the net.

John Brown's men were handed a boost when Dons striker Rory Fallon saw red after a clash with Declan Gallagher.

But a Niall McGinn penalty after Peter Pawlett was felled consigned the Dens Park side to play their football next season in the First Division.

Dundee, who had won their three previous matches, were seeking a fourth consecutive league victory in the SPL for the first time in 14 years.

The home side began well, with Gary Harkins' crisp 20-yard volley going wide of Jamie Langfield's right-hand post in the 14th minute.

Dens Park erupted five minutes later, however, when the Aberdeen goalkeeper was beaten by McAlister's sumptuous volley from outside the box.

Langfield got his hand to the ball, but could not prevent it from flying into the top corner.

Aberdeen came into this game having already recorded two clean sheets under Derek McInnes, but they were almost two down on the half hour.

Harkins was perfectly placed for a low Baird cross from the left and, from six yards, he should have netted, but Langfield made a fine block to save at point blank range.

Steve Simonsen then made a stunning double save at the other end as Aberdeen threatened to level, first from a Ryan Jack strike and then from Peter Pawlett's follow up.

Just before the break, John Baird's effort was parried by Langfield, then he blasted wide.

McAlister then went down under a challenge in the Aberdeen box but referee Alan Muir waved away penalty claims.

Aberdeen brought on Nicky Low for Stephen Hughes for the second half and the Dons made a strong start with Pawlett hitting a cracking low drive which fizzed just wide of Simonsen's right post.

The visitors were looking much much more energetic with the introduction of Low and Dundee were forced onto the back foot for a spell.

The Dons' chances of a recovery seemed to take a blow midway through the second-half when Fallon received a straight red card following an incident with Gallagher in the home penalty area.

Soon afterwards, Langfield kept his side in the game with a leap to the right to stop a Gallagher header.

That save was made even more valuable in the 70th minute when Aberdeen equalised from the penalty spot.

Pawlett drove into the box on the right side and went down under a challenge. The home fans felt the player had not been touched, but referee Alan Muir disagreed.

McGinn blasted the ball high into the net to restore parity.

Langfield then made a flying save to his right to tip the ball behind for a corner from McAlister's header as Dundee pressed the 10-man Dons.

Harkins then crafted a fine opening and crossed for McAlister to head goalwards, but it was an easy take for the Dons keeper.

Conroy went close with a header as four minutes of stoppage time began, but it was Dundee's final opportunity.

Despite a valiant effort to remain in the top-flight since Brown took over, the Tayside outfit could not pull off a stunning escape and will ply their trade next season at the second level of Scottish football.

Top Stories