St Mirren 0-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren and Aberdeen played out their third goalless draw of the Scottish Premier League season in Paisley.

Visiting goalkeeper Jamie Langfield saved well from Dougie Imrie's long-range free-kick before Joe Shaughnessy almost turned the ball in for Aberdeen.

After the break, Saints defender Marc McAusland blocked Scott Vernon's goal-bound header and then Ryan Jack hit the post for the Dons.

Jonny Hayes had the ball in the net for Aberdeen but it was ruled offside.

No win, or even a goal, to mark the 30th anniversary of Aberdeen's Cup Winners' Cup victory as both sides had to settle for a 0-0 draw at St Mirren Park.

The Dons created the better chances as St Mirren faded badly after the break.

To mark the last home game of a trophy-winning campaign, Saints fans cheered their team off the pitch but will be concerned they have not seen a league win since the end of February.

The first half, though goalless, was eminently watchable, punctuated by two fine pieces of goalkeeping.

Despite taking a while to settle, St Mirren gradually found their rhythm and only a fine stop from Dons keeper Langfield kept out Imrie's terrific free kick from distance.

St Mirren goalkeeper Craig Samson is rumoured to be joining Motherwell in the summer
St Mirren goalkeeper Craig Samson is rumoured to be joining Motherwell in the summer

At the other end, it seemed for all the world that Aberdeen would go in a goal up when Shaughnessy headed goalwards from close range from a corner. He was left frustrated though by the quick reflexes of Craig Samson between the sticks as he palmed the ball away.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview: St Mirren manager Danny Lennon

Earlier, Vernon curled a decent effort just beyond Samson's top left hand corner as Aberdeen enjoyed the bulk of the early play. But as St Mirren grew in confidence, Conor Newton tested Langfield in goal with a powerful strike from distance, while Sam Parkin headed just over from a corner.

In the wake of Peter Pawlett's suspension for simulation, it has to be said there was an outrageous dive from another Aberdeen player. However, Hayes was just trying to avoid a nasty collision with advertising hoardings behind the goal. Spectacular, successful and painful all at the same time.

After the break, it was again the visitors who started the brighter. Vernon spurned two chances to put Aberdeen in front, the second a header from almost under the crossbar which defender David van Zanten somehow kept out.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview: Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes

Shortly afterwards, the Dons went closer still, Jack's volley coming back off the post from a clever headed knock-down from Vernon.

Hayes thought he'd scored after neat play from Vernon and Niall McGinn but the offside flag curtailed his celebrations.

So, no Aberdeen glory 30 years on from Gothenburg, but the McInnes era at Pittodrie is off to a very decent start with the new boss unbeaten in his first four matches.

Sir Alex himself would approve, I'm sure.

Top Stories