Warrenpoint Town oust Donegal Celtic in Premiership play-off

Media playback is not supported on this device

Warrenpoint secure promotion with an away goals victory over Donegal Celtic in the promotion and relegation play off

Warrenpoint Town will play in the Premiership for the first time after a 2-1 defeat by Donegal Celtic saw them win the play-off on away goals.

Town led 1-0 going into the second leg at Suffolk Road but Paul McVeigh levelled the aggregate score by heading in on the stroke of half-time.

Stephen McCabe's strike on 74 minutes proved decisive despite Mark Miskimmin netting for the hosts 10 minutes later.

Miskimmin was sent-off late on as Warrenpoint clinched promotion.

The visitors created the first opening when Shaun Parr's header failed to find the target after 15 minutes.

McCabe sent Stephen Hughes clear on goal five minutes later but his chip landed wide of the Donegal Celtic net.

Town keeper Jonathan Parr made a superb save to keep out Stephen O'Neill's header before McVeigh, playing his final game for DC, put the west Belfast side ahead.

Pat McShane sent in a cross to the far post and the striker stooped low to head home.

The equaliser came 16 minutes from time and it was a fine strike from McCabe, who turned and volleyed into the net after Donegal Celtic failed to clear a free-kick.

Donegal Celtic now needed two goals to remain in the top-flight but Town went close again when a Kenny Kearns shot was blocked six yards out.

Miskimmin gave Donegal Celtic hope by slotting the ball into the bottom corner but he was shown a straight red card two minutes from time for a poor challenge on keeper Jonathan Parr.

Warrenpoint held on to secure victory on away goals and they can now look forward to taking on the giants of Irish League football next season.

"It's a dream come true - it is the most important thing to have happened to me, the players and the supporters who have travelled here," said delighted Warrenpoint manager Barry Gray.

Top Stories