Huddersfield 2-1 Bradford

James Vaughan

Last season's beaten Capital One Cup finalists Bradford City were knocked out in the first round by local rivals Huddersfield Town.

The Terriers took the lead before the break when James Vaughan placed a shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Vaughan doubled Town's advantage with a superbly timed header from Adam Hammill's cross.

Bradford pulled a goal back in the last minute through a long-range strike from Nahki Wells.

The Bantams reached the final of the competition in 2012-13 after a remarkable run that saw them beat Premier League sides Wigan, Arsenal and Aston Villa before losing to Swansea at Wembley - but there was to be no repeat of those heroics this year.

Both sides were looking for a first win of the season, Huddersfield having lost 1-0 at Nottingham Forest while Bradford recorded a 2-2 draw with Bristol City on the opening day.

The Championship side shaded an open first half and moments after Bantams defender Stephen Darby had cleared an Adam Clayton effort off the line, they took the lead through Vaughan's strike, though visiting keeper Jon McLaughlin may well feel he ought to have done better.

After an even start to the second period, Town doubled their lead when former Everton and Norwich striker Vaughan rose above the Bradford defence to power a header in from 12 yards out.

The second goal sparked the visitors into action and Garry Thompson fired an 18-yard volley straight at keeper Alex Smithies before Kyel Reid sent a free-kick over the bar from just outside the area.

Bradford boss Phil Parkinson had made seven changes to the 11 that drew at the weekend and threw on regular strike partnership Wells and James Hanson at the hour mark, the latter heading wide with his first touch.

Parkinson's side showed good endeavour to try and get back into the tie and set up a dramatic finale when Wells lashed an effort beyond Smithies.

Town survived an injury-time onslaught from the League One team to progress to the second round.

Top Stories