Dundee Utd 0-1 Inverness CT

Inverness made it two Premiership wins out of two after Billy McKay's goal defeated Dundee United at Tannadice.

The Northern Irishman showed great composure to lift the ball over United goalkeeper Radoslaw Cierzniak.

Caley Thistle's Richie Foran was fortunate not to be sent off for a knee-high tackle on Gary Mackay-Steven.

United's on-loan striker David Goodwillie missed a second-half tap-in, meaning they lost their first opening home league match since 2010.

One of United manager Jackie McNamara's chief objectives this season is to build a better home record, but that might be easier said than done.

His much-changed squad is taking longer to gel than planned and the sight of many players failing to execute the basics will cause slight alarm amongst the Tannadice faithful.

Goodwillie's loan move from Blackburn Rovers raised a lot of Tangerine excitement but he misfired when it mattered most.

James Vincent's arrowed left-footer and Graeme Shinnie's angled drive from 14 yards made the visitors look the more likelier to score before McKay eventually did.

He scored 27 goals for Terry Butcher's men last season and his wonderful finish - number two of this campaign - was another reminder of the 24-year-old's potency.

Foran had rifled the ball into United's penalty box before it bounced up in the air, but McKay cleverly got the better of Sean Dillon and used his toe to loft it over the helpless Cierzniak.

The input of Foran had been positive for Caley Thistle's goal, but his next major contribution was poor when he took out Mackay-Steven after the winger had outfoxed him with skill.

Referee Steven McLean opted for a yellow card but most inside Tannadice expected red, particularly United coach Darren Jackson who was furious on the sidelines.

The hosts did find some rhythm towards the end of the first half but all it culminated in was a weak shot straight at visiting goalkeeper Dean Brill by midfielder Stuart Armstrong.

United surrendering possession far too easily right after the break set the tone again as Foran, then McKay, shot and headed wide respectively for Inverness CT.

With 15 minutes left, Mackay-Steven got by David Raven excellently to cross for Goodwillie at back-post and an equaliser seemed imminent, but the striker opened up his right foot to apply a finish which spooned out towards the six-yard box.

Shinnie could have killed off the game after that scare, however the left-back dragged his shot wide and the Highlanders had to be content with a narrower win.


Join the conversation

These comments are now closed.


Top Stories