St Johnstone 4-0 Ross County

By Kenny CrawfordBBC Sport Scotland at McDiarmid Park

St Johnstone made it two Scottish Premiership wins out of three with a convincing victory over a listless Ross County at McDiarmid Park.

Nigel Hasselbaink flicked home in style before David Wotherspoon curled in a 25-yard free-kick for the second.

Mark Brown saved Wotherspoon's penalty but Stevie May fired Saints' third.

And Dave MacKay made it four with a nicely struck free-kick to leave County still searching for their first league points of the season.

Key to the Dingwall side's hopes of getting off the mark at McDiarmid Park was the return of their captain Richie Brittain from suspension.

He backed out of a pre-contract move to St Johnstone to remain with County and would not of been surprised to hear boos from the home support upon his every touch.

But they say every cloud has a silver lining, and for Saints it came in the form of midfielder Murray Davidson re-signing for another year to fill the gap in the centre of the park and help make the recent Europa League qualifying loss to Minsk a distant memory.

Nigel Hasselbaink scores for St Johnstone against Ross County
Hasselbaink's skilful finish opened the scoring

It was the 25-year-old who battled brilliantly to evade two challenges before cutting the ball back for Hasselbaink to net in off the post with a wonderful back-heel.

Almost immediately, Scott Boyd was booked for a late challenge on Saints striker May and Wotherspoon curled the resulting free-kick wonderfully into Brown's top corner.

Perth-born Wotherspoon had a fantastic chance to kill off the game from the spot after being fouled by Ben Gordon, however his poor penalty was saved by Brown.

Marauding Davidson runs were becoming a regular occurrence and Hasselbaink put him clean through only to see his shot dragged wide.

The pace, energy and creativity of Hasselbaink, Wotherspoon, Davidson and May were just too much for a visiting team struggling to find their form from last season.

The Staggies would have been relieved it was only 2-0 at half-time, but May soon changed that after the restart as he cut inside to thump a low shot past the outstretched arm of Brown.

That goal will only give Peterborough United - who have had two bids for May rebuffed - more food for thought.

As Saints continued to dominate, Boyd conceded another free-kick on the edge of the box and this time St Johnstone captain MacKay stepped up to guide the ball beyond the keeper.

The home fans had more reason to deride Brittain near the end when his effort sailed high over the bar.