St Mirren 1-1 Kilmarnock

St Mirren recovered to take a point from their first home match of the season against 10-man Kilmarnock.

A thundering Kris Boyd strike gave Kilmarnock the lead four minutes into the second half.

Shortly after the hour mark, Boyd was dismissed for lashing out at Jim Goodwin before Gary Harkins struck the equaliser.

Saints playmaker Paul McGowan was unlucky not to snatch a late winner with a close-range shot from a corner.

The draw means both sides are still seeking their first win of the season, although seventh-place Kilmarnock have one more point than the Buddies who find themselves in the bottom third of the Scottish Premiership table.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview - St Mirren manager Danny Lennon

For their first home game of the campaign, Kenny McLean and Marc McAusland returned from injury for St Mirren, while David van Zanten was suspended and Harkins lined up against the club which released him last season.

For Killie, keeper Craig Samson made his first return to Paisley after his summer move.

Inside the first five minutes, Gary Teale fired in an inch-perfect cross from the right-hand side of the Killie penalty area, but Steven Thompson's bullet header was stopped by Samson.

A four-man move finished with McLean failing to latch on to the ball six yards from the Killie goal with only Samson to beat.

Shortly after the 30-minute mark, Conor Newton worked his way into the Killie penalty area with some fancy footwork and lofted a ball towards the back post, but there were no red jerseys waiting to pounce.

The remainder of the first half produced few chances for either side, although St Mirren edged back into the match as the interval approached when new signing Barry Nicholson fired an effort at goal that David Cornell parried wide.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview - Kilmarnock manager Allan Johnston

Five minutes after the restart, Boyd ran on to an inch-perfect pass from Sean Clohessy on the right-hand side of the St Mirren penalty area and blasted the ball past Cornell for the opener.

McGowan fired a dangerous shot across the face of the Killie goal then, just moments later, powered into the visitors' penalty area yet again and was bundled over under pressure - but despite the roars of the home support, no penalty was awarded by the ref.

On the hour mark, Boyd was dismissed for retaliating against Goodwin following an aerial challenge - with television evidence later indicating that the the former Rangers man had lashed out with a punch.

Three minutes later, a corner bounced off Killie's Jeroen Tesselaar inside the visitors' penalty area and Harkins pivoted with his back to goal and fired in from close range.

Teale really should have done better with a badly hit cross from the right-hand side that sailed wide of the mark with three red jerseys waiting in the Killie penalty area.

A sprint to the goal-line by Harkins saw him cut back a delightful ball across the face of the Kilmarnock goal, but there were no takers in the penalty area and it drifted wide.

Teale skipped past two men and delivered a cross to the Killie back post, but Thompson could not reach it and the ball was nudged out for a corner. McGowan was unlucky not to steal a winner for St Mirren from the resulting dead ball when he fired past the right-hand upright.

Harkins fired in a dangerous ball in the closing seconds of added time at St Mirren Park, but the ball ricocheted out and the last chance to snatch a winner vanished as the referee whistled for full-time.

Top Stories