Queen o' South 2-1 St Mirren (aet)

Highlights - QOS 2-1 St Mirrren (aet)

Queen of the South dumped holders St Mirren out of the League Cup after a dramatic period of extra time.

Following a goalless 90 minutes, home goalkeeper Calum Antell saved a Paul McGowan penalty before a Steven Thompson header crept in.

But the home side levelled with a great 20-yard strike from Stephen McKenna.

And a well-executed strike from Michael Paton caught out Buddies keeper David Cornell to maintain the Championship side's good cup record.

In last season's tournament St Mirren stunned Celtic in the semi-finals before breaking Hearts at Hampden with a 3-2 victory to claim their first major trophy in 26 years.

But Danny Lennon's men have managed just one win since that triumph in March.

The visitors' lack of confidence was evident as Queen's energetic pressing caused them all sorts of problems in the opening period.

While Saints struggled to link up, the hosts were menacing, with Derek Lyle the first to threaten when he fired half a foot over Cornell's crossbar after just six minutes.

McKenna then sprayed a ball left for Daniel Carmichael to catch but the sprightly winger send his shot wide after cutting past David van Zanten.

A lapse in concentration from St Mirren's Gary Teale let in Paton to fire off a shot which Cornell did well to beat away, before Saints finally conjured an attempt on goal on the stroke of half-time.

Gary Harkins strode forward from his own half, nutmegging an opponent as he went, before thudding the upright from 20 yards.

The Buddies improved after the break, with John McGinn's long-range strike producing a good save from Antell.

With 80 minutes gone, Harkins found the side-netting after Gary Teale's driving run and cross but Queens held out for extra-time.

And there was drama just three minutes into the additional period as Thompson was felled by Paton in the box, only for Antell to keep out substitute McGowan's spot-kick.

Saints quickly recovered from that setback as Harkins crossed for Thompson just two minutes later and the former Scotland striker found the net with a downward header.

But Ramsdens Cup holders Queens responded when McKenna ripped a 20-yard screamer past Cornell two minutes before the turn-around to level the match.

And Saints' reign as champions was ended five minutes from time when Antell's long punt was misjudged by St Mirren skipper Jim Goodwin, opening the space for Paton to steer a clever lob beyond the stranded Cornell.