Coleraine edge past Loughgall after extra-time in League Cup

Media playback is not supported on this device

Crusaders and Newington YC serve up a number of impressive goals as last year's beaten finalists progress to the last 16 of the League Cup.

Johnny Stewart scored in extra-time on his debut to secure a 2-1 League Cup win for Coleraine over Loughgall.

Aaron Haire had given Loughgall the lead but Steven Douglas equalised.

Joe Gormley scored twice as holders Cliftonville beat H&W Welders 3-0 while Linfield saw off Knockbreda 2-0 and Crusaders defeated Newington YC 3-1.

Glentoran defeated Ballyclare Comrades 2-0 and Mark Patton scored a hat-trick in Glenavon's 6-0 success over PSNI. Portadown beat Sport and Leisure 4-0.

Haire turned Douglas and fired past Wayne Drummond in the first half for Championship One side Loughgall, but defender Douglas levelled six minutes after the interval.

The ex-Linfield player was then sent-off, forcing the Bannsiders to play the remainder of the game with 10 men.

Cliftonville failed to find the net in the first half but Gormley broke down the Welders' resistance with a penalty and his ninth goal of the season followed soon after.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Cliftonville get the defence of their League Cup crown off to a winning start by defeating Harland and Wolff Welders 3-0 at Solitude.

Johnny McMurray completed the scoring for Tommy Breslin's Reds at Solitude.

Sean Cleary fired home a superb strike to give the Crues a 16th-minute lead at Seaview, but Newington replied through Cathal O'Kane nine minutes later.

Goals from David McAllister and Josh Robinson ensured safe passage into the last 16 for last season's beaten finalists.

Matthew Tipton eased Linfield's nerves at Windsor Park with a header from a James Knowles cross on the half hour, with strike partner Mark McAllister adding the second in the 69th minute of the second round tie.

Mark Miskimmin put Glentoran in front against Ballyclare with a first-half penalty after the former Donegal Celtic forward had been fouled in the area.

Comrades were reduced to 10 men when Andrew Doyle was sent-off for a second yellow card offence on 42 minutes and then Calum Birney completed the scoring after 65 minutes.

Darren Murray set Portadown on their way with a third-minute penalty after Sport and Leisure Swifts defender Brian Moore had handled Chris Ramsey's effort on the line.

Kevin Braniff then fired into the top right-hand corner from 30 yards, with Gary Twigg and Emmett Friars also getting their names on the scoresheet.

Ciaran Martyn broke the deadlock at Mourneview Park with a well-taken strike, but Patton stole the show with his hat-trick, the pick of the bunch being a terrific curling shot into the top corner.

Guy Bates, with a diving header, and James Singleton were the other goal-scorers for rampant Glenavon.

League Cup second round results

Ballinamallard United 3-0 Banbridge Town

Ballyclare Comrades 0-2 Glentoran

Ballymena United 2-2 Ballymoney United - Ballymena 5-3 on penalties

Chimney Corner 1-8 Dundela

Cliftonville 3-0 HW Welders

Coagh United 1-3 Lisburn Distillery

Coleraine 2-1 Loughgall - after extra-time

Donegal Celtic 1-2 Lurgan Celtic

Glenavon 6-0 PSNI

Institute 2-0 Glebe Rangers

Larne 0-1 Dungannon Swifts

Linfield 2-0 Knockbreda

Newington YC 1-3 Crusaders

Portadown 4-0 Sport & Leisure Swifts

Wakehurst 0-5 Ards

Warrenpoint Town 2-3 Bangor

Top Stories