Hibernian 2-0 St Mirren

By Kheredine IdessaneBBC Scotland at Easter Road

James Collins and Paul Heffernan were on target for the second week running as Hibernian heaped more misery on struggling St Mirren at Easter Road.

From a 10th-minute free-kick, Collins reacted well to head home a flick-on from Michael Nelson.

With Hibs well on top, Heffernan turned in an Alan Maybury cross from close range on the hour.

And St Mirren defender Danny Grainger was sent off in the closing minutes following a foolish second booking.

The left-back hammered the ball against Maybury who had prevented him from taking a quick free-kick, summing up the frustration felt as the Buddies' winless run continued.

The Paisley side have earned just one point from their six league outings, while Hibs move up to fifth in the Scottish Premiership after their first home success of the season.

Hibs are now unbeaten in five following a sticky opening to the season that had manager Pat Fenlon under pressure.

His counterpart today, Danny Lennon, is very much feeling the heat, with St Mirren never looking likely to end their dismal run, as Hibs dominated from the moment they took the lead.

Some dithering in the visiting defence allowed Collins to stoop low and nod in Liam Craig's free-kick, abetted by a touch from Nelson.

Only some good goalkeeping from Saints' teenage reserve goalkeeper Christopher Dilo kept Hibs at bay from the remainder of the first-half, with two especially good stops to turn Heffernan's shot round a post and keep out Robertson's close-range effort.

After the break Dilo did well to deal with a fizzing strike from Liam Craig but the young Frenchman was beaten again when Heffernan deftly flicked in Maybury's low, right-wing cross.

St Mirren consistently gifted possession to the hosts and the nearest they came to getting a foothold in the game was when Kenny McLean's powerful long-range shot was deflected just inches wide.

The busy Dilo did well to keep Hibs out again with a super reaction save from Robertson's strong shot. Collins put away the rebound but from an offside position.

With the home side full of confidence, Craig almost added a third goal 10 minutes from time with a drive from fully 45-yards as he pounced on Dilo's poor clearance before the keeper scrambled back to save.

Grainger's dismissal came on 89 minutes with the second yellow card as entirely unnecessary as the one as he first collected for mouthing off at referee Steven McLean.

There were lots of smiling faces around Easter Road on the final whistle - all from those with Hibs connections, while St Mirren's poor start to the season shows no signs of turning around.