Motherwell 3-1 Ross County

By Jonathan SutherlandBBC Scotland at Fir Park

John Sutton netted twice as Motherwell fought back to earn a deserved three points against Ross County at Fir Park.

Melvin De Leeuw's heavily deflected strike put County in front at half-time.

But a header then a well taken strike by Englishman Sutton turned the match around.

Bob McHugh nodded home to completed the comeback as Motherwell stayed on the coat-tails of Scottish Premiership pace setters Inverness and Celtic.

Stuart McCall's side remain three points behind the joint-leaders while County's points tally after eight matches stands at seven.

Sutton and Henri Anier combined well to create a chance early to a force a sharp save from visiting goalkeeper Mark Brown.

James McFadden's pass unlocked the County defence and Stuart Carswell cut the ball back for Sutton to shoot but the toe of Brown prevented what looked to be a certain goal.

And, against the run of play, County took the lead. A cut back from Ben Gordon found De Leeuw at the edge of the box and his shot deflected off Shaun Hutchinson into the corner of the Motherwell net.

Melvin De Leeuw scores for Ross County against Motherwell
De Leeuw's deflected shot deceived Motherwell

In response, a free-kick from McFadden found Sutton but his flick-on was straight at Brown.

Just before half-time County should have doubled their lead. A cut-back, this time from De Leeuw, found Richie Brittain at the edge of the box but the midfielder - normally so assured in sight of goal - blazed high over the bar.

Motherwell hit back just after the interval. First a John Sutton free-kick was turned behind and from the resulting corner the former Hearts man rose highest to head past Brown.

From there the game really opened up. Brittain tried his luck from 25 yards but Lee Hollis blocked.

At the other end an Anier diving header went just wide.

Stuart Kettlewell was put through into the box by County team-mate Rocco Quinn but his shot was brilliantly saved by Hollis.

Motherwell gained the lead for the first time when Sutton ripped through the centre of the Ross County defence to dispatch high into the net.

Soon after, a fizzing shot from McFadden's replacement Lionel Ainsworth was slightly fumbled but eventually gathered by Brown.

'Well were much more focused in the final third in the second-half and it paid off as they made it 3-1.

A superb, thumping header from McHugh put McCall's men firmly in command as the match entered its final phases.