Guernsey FA Cup campaign ended by 3-2 loss to Dover

Tony Vance

Guernsey FC's first adventure in the FA Cup was brought to an end as Dover Athletic edged a five-goal thriller in their second round qualifying match.

Guernsey striker Ross Allen scored two second-half goals to bring the scores level after Dover led 2-0 at half-time.

Then, having got level, Tony Vance's men immediately conceded a Ricky Modeste goal in the 69th minute, which was enough for the official "visitors".

The match was switched to Lancing FC due to a rugby fixture clash.

Guernsey share their Footes Lane ground with Guernsey RFC and were unable to agree an alternative time with Dover when the 13:00 BST kick-off stipulated by the FA clashed with a pre-existing rugby match.

The match was played instead at the Sussex FA's headquarters, where Chris Kinnear's men started strongly.

James Rogers, playing his second match after returning to the club he left in 2010, opened the scoring in the ninth minute with a curling, 20-yard shot.

Guernsey then got back into the match but spurned a chance to equalise when Marc McGrath headed straight at the keeper.

Nathan Elder put the Kent side in control five minutes before the break by heading in Rogers' cross but their dominance was short-lived.

Allen rounded the keeper to score on 46 minutes after being fed a pass from Glyn Dyer and the Channel Island side kept up the pressure from then on.

That was rewarded on 65 minutes when Tom Wynter conceded a penalty, which Allen put firm and low into the net.

The Green Lions had little time to contemplate a winner, however - or even a Tuesday night replay at Dover's Crabble ground.

The lead lasted just four minutes before Modeste's winner, for which Rogers was again the provider.

"We didn't have much luck," said Allen after the final whistle.

"It was a great performance from everyone. It's two leagues higher than we're used to," he said.

Guernsey manager Tony Vance was equally sanguine.

"I'm very proud of our lads' efforts. We've shown we can compete at this level. We didn't disgrace ourselves," he said.

Kinnear sounded relieved to be in the hat for the third qualifying round on Monday, after conceding the early two-goal lead.

"You can see why they've won so many games - they just wouldn't give in," he said.

He praised Allen in particular, comparing him to Tottenham striker Jermaine Defoe.

"He'd get you goals at a much higher level," he said.