Irish Premiership: Glentoran 1-1 Cliftonville

Mark Miskimmin put Glentoran ahead at the Oval

Ten-man Glentoran frustrated champions Cliftonville in a tempestuous Premiership clash at the Oval.

Mark Miskimmin's goal seconds before the break gave the hosts a lead they deserved after subduing the Reds.

However, Glentoran's Stephen McAlorum was sent off on 61 minutes after a challenge on Ciaran Caldwell.

Elliott Morris saved a George McMullan penalty but as the Glens failed to clear to safety, sub Caldwell fired into the net seconds later.

With the Glens down to 10 men, Cliftonville produced late pressure but Eddie Patterson's side held on to take a point that they deserved.

Cliftonville went into the game hoping to regain form after losing four of their opening 10 Premiership games.

Glentoran manager Eddie Patterson expresses his disgust at some of the decisions made by the referee during his side's 1-1 draw with Cliftonville.

However, it was the Glens who showed the majority of the first-half enterprise with Richard Clarke and Marcus Kane winning the central midfield battle against George McMullan and Ryan Catney.

The Reds did have an early penalty shout turned down when Joe Gormley ended up on the deck after a Jimmy Callacher challenge.

Mark Clarke and Kane missed chances at the other end as impressive wing play Jim O'Hanlon and Jordan Stewarts had the Reds defence back pedalling.

Cliftonville looked like holding on to half-time but Glentoran had other ideas as they took the lead seconds before the break.

A nice ball from Stewart released Kane on the right and his deflected cross found its way to Miskimmin who had the simple task of stroking into an unguarded net.

Glentoran remained in control in the 15 minutes after the restart but McAlorum's straight red card after a challenge on Curran then changed the course of the game.

Home manager Eddie Patterson, afterwards, described Mervyn Smyth's decision to red card the midfielder as "farcical".

The Reds boss also didn't agree with Smyth's awarding of a 72nd-minute penalty after Callacher had been adjudged to have climbed on Caldwell.

McMullan's poorly-directed penalty was easily saved by Morris but with Glentoran failing with a couple of attempts to clear their lines over the next 20 seconds, Caldwell was able to slam in a low shot past the keeper from 12 yards.

With the one-man advantage, Cliftonville produced late pressure but Curran fired wide and Callacher also bravely blocked a Catney shot.

Top Stories