Irish Premiership: Linfield 5-1 Warrenpoint Town

Linfield move six points clear at the top of the table with a 5-1 victory over bottom side Warrenpoint Town at Windsor Park.

Linfield extended their Premiership lead to six points as they proved far too strong for Warrenpoint.

The Blues failed to convert early chances but Andrew Waterworth put the leaders ahead on 29 minutes.

A Stephen Moan own goal on the stroke of half-time extended Linfield's lead before third-quarter goals from Matthew Tipton on 49 and 56.

Stephen Hughes pulled a goal back from a 61st-minute penalty but Waterworth quickly replied with Linfield's fifth.

With second-placed Crusaders held to a 2-2 draw by Glenavon, Linfield's victory increases their Premiership advantage to six points.

The Blues controlled the Windsor Park contest right from the off and Warrenpoint keeper Johnny Parr had to make a magnificent save to block a point-blank effort by Tipton in the 18th minute.

Parr moved smartly again four minutes later to deny Waterworth and moments later Kyle McVey wasted a glorious chance to put the leaders ahead as he blazed over from close range.

However, the Blues pressure did yield an opening goal on 29 minutes as Waterworth got the final touch after a Michael Carvill corner had been headed down by McVey and played on by Philip Lowry.

Warrenpoint's goal continued to lead a charmed life but they received a hammer blow in first-half injury-time as Moan diverted into his own net.

Any slim chance of a Warrenpoint comeback was ended four minutes after the break as Michael Gault charged down the Linfield right before crossing for Tipton to head home from four yards.

Brilliant work from Carvill set up a tap-in for Tipton seven minutes later as Linfield threatened to run riot.

Warrenpoint did respond with Hughes's penalty on 61 but the four-goal margin was restored two minutes later as Waterworth notched his second goal of the day.

With the job done, Linfield's performance level dropped off in the closing stages and their goalkeeper Jonny Tuffey had to make three great saves to deny Warrenpoint in the closing stages.

Top Stories