Irish Premiership: Warrenpoint Town 2-3 Linfield

Media playback is not supported on this device

Warrenpoint Town 2 Linfield 3

Linfield produced a dramatic late comeback to recover from a two-goal deficit and secure a crucial three points against Warrenpoint at Milltown.

Andy Waterworth headed in a Brian McCaul free-kick on 84 minutes and Mark McAllister drilled a low shot into the bottom corner with a minute remaining.

A Mark Haughey header in added time saw Linfield lead the table by six points.

A 25th-minute Stephen Hughes penalty and a Liam Bagnall header just before half-time had put Warrenpoint in front.

Premiership leaders Linfield began the game brightly and Waterworth had a header saved by Jonathan Parr, while Billy Joe Burns curled a free-kick round the defensive wall and wide of the post.

Michael Carvill flashed an effort over the bar, then Daniel Hughes was wide with his attempt for the top-flight newcomers at the other end.

Billy Joe Burns and Stephen McCabe in action at Milltown
Billy Joe Burns and Stephen McCabe in action at Milltown

The home side took a surprise lead when Stephen Hughes slotted his penalty kick straight down the middle of the goal after Daniel Hughes had been brought down inside the area by Jonny Tuffey.

Waterworth squandered a good chance to equalise when his free header from eight yards out went off-target.

Carvill skewed a left-foot shot over the bar and then Parr made a fine save from Philip Lowry's shot.

The Blues were made to pay for their missed chances when Bagnall headed in from close range at the back post after Stephen Hughes had flicked on a corner.

Bagnall was perhaps fortunate to be still on the pitch however after three bookable fouls in the first period yielded just a single yellow card.

Visiting manager David Jeffrey introduced skipper Michael Gault and new signing Ivan Sproule for the second half, at the expense of Carvill and Matthew Clarke.

Soon after the break, Stephen Hughes saw his right-foot shot cannon off the upright, while McAllister's header rebounded off the post.

Shane Mulgrew's goalbound left-foot drive was blocked by Billy Joe Burns and Stephen Hughes found the net with a right-foot finish, but the flag was up for offside.

Waterworth's header got the Linfield comeback underway and McAllister's goal and Haughey's header from a corner ensured that Linfield left with a maximum three points and ended Town's run of three consecutive league wins.

Waterworth had another late opportunity cleared off the line as Warrenpoint struggled to stem the Windsor Park's attacking threat.

Top Stories