The FA Cup - Replay
PlymouthPlymouth Argyle2Port ValePort Vale3

Plymouth Argyle 2-3 Port Vale

Ben Williamson scores Port Vale's second goal

Port Vale twice came from behind to earn a place in the FA Cup fourth round at the expense of League Two Plymouth.

The Pilgrims took an early lead through Andres Gurrieri's header, before Vale's Jordan Hugill fired in from 18 yards.

Conor Hourihane restored Argyle's lead only for Ben Williamson to head the League One visitors level again.

Jennison Myrie-Williams put Vale 3-2 up before Chris Neal saved Argyle striker Reuben Reid's penalty, after Chris Lines had been sent off.

Reid - Argyle's top scorer this season with 13 goals to his name - saw his 80th-minute spot-kick brilliantly kept out by Vale keeper Neal after Lines had fouled Hourihane inside the box.

In the first meeting, Plymouth came back from 2-0 down to earn a replay. But this time it was Vale who showed admirable character after Argyle had made a flying start.

Gurrieri headed his side ahead after just 90 seconds at Home Park following an error by Neal.

Vale responded well through Hugill's well-struck drive from the edge of the box after a one-two with Louis Dodds.

Argyle captain Hourihane then showed real drive from midfield to run from the halfway line before smashing a 25-yard shot on the run into the bottom corner for an excellent goal.

Once again, however, the visitors found a way back, substitute Williamson heading home a Myrie-Williams' cross in the 63rd minute shortly after coming on.

With 15 minutes to go, Myrie-Williams smashed home Tom Pope's pass to earn a fourth-round home tie against Championship side Brighton.


Port Vale assistant manager Mark Grew told BBC Radio Stoke:

"We don't do anything easy. That's what the FA Cup is all about.

"We made too many simple errors in the first half. The gaffer's gone in and spoken to the players constructively at half-time and the second half speaks for itself.

"It was a bit like Plymouth in the first game. 2-0 down, nothing to lose, let's have a go at them and, for the first 25 minutes of the second half, they couldn't get the ball off us.

"We made it difficult for ourselves. We had a horror show in the first minute. Chris Neal's made a ricket and he'd be disappointed with the second goal too, which has gone across him. But he's made a world-class penalty save to get himself out of the mess."



Formation 4-4-2

  • 1Cole
  • 2BerrySubstituted forBlanchardat 45'minutes
  • 25Purrington
  • 11Blizzard
  • 16Trotman
  • 17Nelson
  • 27Gurrieri
  • 6Hourihane
  • 7Alessandra
  • 9Reid
  • 24VassellSubstituted forThomasat 75'minutes


  • 4Blanchard
  • 8Boco
  • 14Young
  • 15Wotton
  • 19Thomas
  • 22Richards
  • 23McCormick

Port Vale

Formation 4-4-2

  • 1NealBooked at 90mins
  • 2Yates
  • 7LoftBooked at 90mins
  • 18LinesBooked at 80mins
  • 4Robertson
  • 5DickinsonBooked at 13mins
  • 9Myrie-WilliamsSubstituted forBirchallat 82'minutes
  • 21GriffithSubstituted forShukerat 61'minutes
  • 39HugillSubstituted forWilliamsonat 61'minutes
  • 11Pope
  • 8Dodds


  • 12Johnson
  • 15Shuker
  • 19Williamson
  • 22Lloyd
  • 26Birchall
  • 41O'Neil
Graham Scott

Match Stats

Home TeamPlymouthAway TeamPort Vale
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Plymouth Argyle 2, Port Vale 3.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Plymouth Argyle 2, Port Vale 3.

  3. Booking

    Doug Loft (Port Vale) is shown the yellow card.

  4. Booking

    Chris Neal (Port Vale) is shown the yellow card.

  5. Post update

    Attempt missed. Lewis Alessandra (Plymouth Argyle) right footed shot from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the left.

  6. Post update

    Nathan Thomas (Plymouth Argyle) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  7. Post update

    Foul by Adam Yates (Port Vale).

  8. Post update

    Attempt saved. Andres Gurrieri (Plymouth Argyle) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom right corner.

  9. Post update

    Corner, Plymouth Argyle. Conceded by Carl Dickinson.

  10. Post update

    Attempt blocked. Maxime Blanchard (Plymouth Argyle) header from the centre of the box is blocked.

  11. Post update

    Corner, Plymouth Argyle. Conceded by Chris Birchall.

  12. Post update

    Carl Dickinson (Port Vale) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  13. Post update

    Foul by Conor Hourihane (Plymouth Argyle).

  14. Substitution

    Substitution, Port Vale. Chris Birchall replaces Jennison Myrie-Williams.

  15. Post update

    Attempt saved. Reuben Reid (Plymouth Argyle) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the top centre of the goal.

  16. Post update

    Corner, Plymouth Argyle. Conceded by Adam Yates.

  17. Post update

    Corner, Plymouth Argyle. Conceded by Chris Neal.

  18. Post update

    Penalty saved! Reuben Reid (Plymouth Argyle) fails to capitalise on this great opportunity, right footed shot saved in the top left corner.

  19. Dismissal

    Chris Lines (Port Vale) is shown the red card for a bad foul.

  20. Post update

    Penalty Plymouth Argyle. Conor Hourihane draws a foul in the penalty area.