Scottish Premiership
Partick ThistlePartick Thistle1KilmarnockKilmarnock1

Partick Thistle 1-1 Kilmarnock

By John BarnesBBC Scotland at Firhill Stadium

Robbie Muirhead's late strike earned Kilmarnock a draw to leave Partick Thistle still looking for their first home league win this season.

The youngster netted after Kris Boyd's penalty kick had been parried by Paul Gallacher, with Aaron Taylor-Sinclair sent off for conceding the spot-kick.

It was heartbreak for Thistle who controlled the majority of the match.

Kallum Higginbotham's overhead kick had given Thistle an early lead but they were unable to add to their advantage.

And so Alan Archibald's find themselves without a victory in 11 Scottish Premiership matches on home soil and slipping to second bottom in the table.

The hosts could not have got off to a better start with Higginbotham's terrific opener.

Partick Thistle's Kallum Higginbotham celebrates after scoring against Kilmarnock
Higginbotham gave Thistle an early lead

Killie captain Manuel Pascali could only clear a long throw towards Higginbotham 10 yards out and he adjusted well to beat Craig Samson with an acrobatic effort.

With goalkeeper Scott Fox picking up a heel injury in training, Paul Gallacher made only his second appearance for Thistle and also took over the captain's armband in the absence of Sean Welsh.

Gallacher only had to deal with a few passbacks in the opening 20 minutes with Thistle a frequent threat at the other end.

Stephen O'Donnell shot wide from 20 yards after a surging run and Higginbotham also came close to adding a second as he blasted over under pressure inside the six-yard box.

Muirhead was booked for diving just after the half-hour mark following a challenge from Thistle's new signing Lee Mair.

Higginbotham along with Steven Lawless and Lyle Taylor were giving the visitors defence a difficult time with their creative link-up play.

Thistle looked the more composed side and came close from a Taylor-Sinclair free-kick which was turned away by Samson.

Boyd had his first effort at goal on the hour mark, turning his marker to to create space for a shot which flew wide of Gallacher's left-hand post.

Higginbotham though was the star attraction for the home team and he eluded four Killie defenders only for his neat cutback to find no takers.

Killie came to life in the last 10 minutes, posing a greater threat to the home goal.

Boyd was denied by Gallacher when clean through and the ball broke to substitute William Gros, whose follow-up was headed off the line by Conrad Balatoni.

But, in the final minute, Taylor-Sinclair brought down Gros to concede a penalty and suffer a red card.

Boyd's spot-kick was parried by Gallacher but Muirhead was the first to pounce and slot home with his right foot.


Partick Thistle

Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 12Gallacher
  • 2O'DonnellBooked at 60mins
  • 3Taylor-SinclairBooked at 89mins
  • 22FraserSubstituted forMuirheadat 75'minutes
  • 6Balatoni
  • 15Mair
  • 11LawlessSubstituted forElliottat 80'minutes
  • 7Craigen
  • 21Taylor
  • 8Bannigan
  • 23Higginbotham


  • 5Muirhead
  • 9Doolan
  • 10Forbes
  • 14Elliott
  • 16McMillan
  • 31Wilson
  • 32Waters


Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 1Samson
  • 30Ashcroft
  • 2Tesselaar
  • 28Slater
  • 29PascaliBooked at 52mins
  • 5Irvine
  • 18McKenzieSubstituted forGrosat 76'minutes
  • 8Clingan
  • 9Boyd
  • 33MuirheadBooked at 32mins
  • 10JohnstonSubstituted forKiltieat 45'minutes


  • 7Nicholson
  • 11Gros
  • 12Reguero Chapinal
  • 16Clohessy
  • 23McKeown
  • 25Gardyne
  • 36Kiltie
Steven McLean

Match Stats

Home TeamPartick ThistleAway TeamKilmarnock
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Partick Thistle 1, Kilmarnock 1.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Partick Thistle 1, Kilmarnock 1.

  3. Post update

    Kallum Higginbotham (Partick Thistle) wins a free kick on the right wing.

  4. Post update

    Foul by William Gros (Kilmarnock).

  5. Goal!

    Goal! Partick Thistle 1, Kilmarnock 1. Robbie Muirhead (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal.

  6. Post update

    Penalty saved! Kris Boyd (Kilmarnock) fails to capitalise on this great opportunity, right footed shot saved in the bottom left corner.

  7. Dismissal

    Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Partick Thistle) is shown the red card for a bad foul.

  8. Post update

    Penalty conceded by Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Partick Thistle) after a foul in the penalty area.

  9. Post update

    Penalty Kilmarnock. William Gros draws a foul in the penalty area.

  10. Post update

    Attempt missed. Craig Slater (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from outside the box is too high.

  11. Post update

    Corner, Kilmarnock. Conceded by Paul Gallacher.

  12. Post update

    Attempt saved. Manuel Pascali (Kilmarnock) header from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal.

  13. Post update

    Corner, Kilmarnock. Conceded by Lee Mair.

  14. Post update

    Attempt blocked. William Gros (Kilmarnock) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked.

  15. Post update

    Attempt saved. Kris Boyd (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal.

  16. Substitution

    Substitution, Partick Thistle. Christie Elliott replaces Steven Lawless.

  17. Post update

    Foul by Stephen O'Donnell (Partick Thistle).

  18. Post update

    Greg Kiltie (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  19. Substitution

    Substitution, Kilmarnock. William Gros replaces Rory McKenzie.

  20. Substitution

    Substitution, Partick Thistle. Aaron Muirhead replaces Gary Fraser.