Irish Premiership: Linfield 2-1 Glenavon

Linfield come from a goal down to beat Glenavon 2-1 at Windsor Park to regain top spot in the Irish Premiership

Linfield returned to the top of the Premiership as they fought back from a goal down to beat a battling Glenavon side at Windsor Park.

Tiarnan Mulvenna put the Lurgan club ahead from the penalty spot on 27 minutes after Philip Lowry had handled.

However, Lowry atoned by drilling in a Linfield equaliser on 40 minutes.

Ex-Glenavon man Mark Haughey bundled in Linfield's winner on 73 and the visitors had Rhys Marshall sent off for dissent after the final whistle.

The victory moves David Jeffrey's side two points ahead of champions Cliftonville at the top of the table.

Both the Blues and the Reds have now played the same amount of games.

Glenavon manager Gary Hamilton will probably feel that his team deserved something from Monday's rain-lashed encounter.

The Lurgan outfit competed well throughout the contest and Linfield had to defend stoutly in the closing stages to hold on to the three points.

David Rainey tested Jonathan Tuffey early on although Marshall then had to clear an Andy Waterworth effort off the line at the other end.

Mulvenna fired Glenavon ahead from the spot after Lowry's obvious handball had blocked a Ciaran Martyn overhead kick.

But Lowry made up for his mistake as he lashed home an angled shot from 18 yards five minutes before the break after Kris Lindsay had slipped on the soggy surface.

Linfield still had time before the break to go close to taking the lead as Glenavon keeper James McGrath blocked an Ivan Sproule effort and then tipped a Jamie Mulgrew shot out for a corner.

Haughey poked in Linfield's winner from close range on 73 minutes after an almighty goalmouth scramble.

Lowry then hit the side-netting while Matthew Tipton fired wide as the Blues attempted to put the game to bed.

However, Glenavon summoned up some late pressure and Linfield needed to show composure in the closing stages to remain ahead.