Scottish Premiership
KilmarnockKilmarnock1St JohnstoneSt Johnstone2

Kilmarnock 1-2 St Johnstone

By Rob MacleanBBC Scotland at Rugby Park

St Johnstone warmed up for next week's Scottish Cup semi-final by coming from behind to beat Kilmarnock in the Premiership.

Robbie Muirhead slid in to edge Killie ahead early on.

But Frazer Wright headed Saints level and Steven Anderson's inventive back-heel turned the match in the Perth side's favour.

And though Tommy Wright's side could not add to their lead, they go into the cup meeting with Aberdeen in fine form.

Killie might reckon they have blown the chance to ease their end of season play-off fears, especially since St Mirren pulled off a last-gasp win at home to Motherwell.

Kilmarnock were ahead inside four minutes thanks to their hot prospect Muirhead.

Kris Boyd's shot on the turn was saved by Saints 'keeper Alan Mannus but he couldn't hold on to the ball and the 18-year-old pounced on the rebound to stab home the opening goal.

Allan Johnston's team kicked on from that dream start and dominated the first half-hour with a slick passing display. What they lacked was end product.

The closest they got to increasing their advantage was a 25-yard lob from Alexei Eremenko which was just a couple of feet too high.

And at the other end Kilmarnock couldn't cope with corner kicks. They were well warned when a David Wotherspoon header from Lee Croft's corner was cleared off the line by Rory McKenzie.

But they didn't learn their lesson and from another corner kick St Johnstone squared the game on 31 minutes.

On the end of Croft's corner, Wright escaped his marker and crashed a header into the top corner of Craig Samson's goal.

Kilmarnock were found guilty again of failing to deal with a corner kick two minutes shy of half-time.

This time it was an in-swinger from Wotherspoon which found another central defender taking advantage of penalty box freedom to score. Anderson's goal was one for his scrapbook as he flew threw the air and back-heeled the ball past Samson.

In the second half St Johnstone were solid and Kilmarnock never really looked like salvaging something from the game.

And having looked early on as if they might move further clear of the playoff dogfight, the East Ayrshire side are now deeply embroiled again.



Formation 4-2-3-1

  • 1Samson
  • 15BarbourBooked at 90mins
  • 2Tesselaar
  • 5Irvine
  • 30Ashcroft
  • 22Maksimenko
  • 33MuirheadSubstituted forGrosat 77'minutes
  • 20EremenkoSubstituted forGardyneat 73'minutes
  • 9Boyd
  • 28SlaterBooked at 86minsSubstituted forNicholsonat 90'minutes
  • 18McKenzie


  • 4Fowler
  • 7Nicholson
  • 11Gros
  • 12Reguero Chapinal
  • 16Clohessy
  • 25Gardyne
  • 83Bouzid

St Johnstone

Formation 4-4-2

  • 1Mannus
  • 2MackayBooked at 90mins
  • 24Easton
  • 12Dunne
  • 6Anderson
  • 5Wright
  • 22Croft
  • 7Millar
  • 9MacLean
  • 17MaySubstituted forO'Halloranat 67'minutes
  • 10Wotherspoon


  • 4Cregg
  • 11Hasselbaink
  • 15Banks
  • 19Miller
  • 23Clancy
  • 25Iwelumo
  • 29O'Halloran
Steven McLean

Match Stats

Home TeamKilmarnockAway TeamSt Johnstone
Shots on Target

Live Text

  1. Post update

    Match ends, Kilmarnock 1, St Johnstone 2.

  2. Full Time

    Second Half ends, Kilmarnock 1, St Johnstone 2.

  3. Booking

    David Mackay (St Johnstone) is shown the yellow card.

  4. Post update

    Foul by David Mackay (St Johnstone).

  5. Post update

    William Gros (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  6. Substitution

    Substitution, Kilmarnock. Barry Nicholson replaces Craig Slater.

  7. Booking

    Ross Barbour (Kilmarnock) is shown the yellow card.

  8. Post update

    Michael O'Halloran (St Johnstone) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  9. Post update

    Foul by Ross Barbour (Kilmarnock).

  10. Post update

    Corner, Kilmarnock. Conceded by David Mackay.

  11. Booking

    Craig Slater (Kilmarnock) is shown the yellow card.

  12. Post update

    Foul by James Dunne (St Johnstone).

  13. Post update

    Michael Gardyne (Kilmarnock) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

  14. Post update

    Attempt saved. David Wotherspoon (St Johnstone) right footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the centre of the goal.

  15. Post update

    Lee Croft (St Johnstone) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

  16. Post update

    Foul by Jeroen Tesselaar (Kilmarnock).

  17. Post update

    Attempt missed. Michael Gardyne (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the left.

  18. Substitution

    Substitution, Kilmarnock. William Gros replaces Robbie Muirhead.

  19. Post update

    Attempt missed. Michael Gardyne (Kilmarnock) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the left.

  20. Post update

    Attempt missed. David Wotherspoon (St Johnstone) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the right.

As It Stood

4Dundee Utd33159957401754
5Inverness CT33157114035552
6St Johnstone33146134134748
9Ross County3387183856-1831
10St Mirren3387183455-2131
11Partick Thistle33612153657-2130
View full Scottish Premiership table

Top Stories