League of Ireland Premier Division: Cork City 2-0 Derry City

Peter Hutton (left) watches Friday's match from the Derry dugout

Peter Hutton's first match since his appointment as Derry City manager ended in defeat as Cork City won the League of Ireland contest at Turner's Cross.

After a promising opening, Derry were rocked on 15 minutes when Cork were awarded a controversial penalty which was netted by Billy Dennehy.

Gearoid Morrissey doubled Cork's lead two minutes later with a fierce shot.

Ryan Curran hit the Cork woodwork but the home side had other chances as they earned a comfortable three points.

The defeat keeps Derry dangerously near the relegation zone in the Premier Division.

Hutton, installed as Roddy Collins's successor in midweek after the Dubliner's departure last weekend, made five changes from the defeat by Shamrock Rovers which included the recall of defender Shane McEleney.

McEleney's brother Patrick operated as the lone Derry striker with Rory Patterson ruled out of the contest by suspension.

Derry appeared largely untroubled in the opening minutes but their fragile confidence suffered a huge blow on 15 minutes when Shane McEleney was harshly adjudged to have bundled over Dennehy in the area as referee Robert Rogers awarded a penalty.

Dennehy got up to slot home the spot-kick and Derry were still coming to terms with that misfortune when Morrissey lashed in a glorious 25-yard shot to the net after a half-clearance by Ryan McBride.

Derry had chances for a quick reply as Aaron Barry headed a glorious opportunity wide and then McBride was also off target.

On the stroke of half-time, Cork thought they had extended their advantage but Murray's tap-in was ruled out for offside after Gerard Doherty had brilliantly tipped a Mark O'Sullivan header onto the crossbar

After the resumption. O'Sullivan nodded against the Derry woodwork again before the visitors produced their best period of the match.

Firstly, the lively Curran tested Mark McNulty from distance before Patrick McEleney produced a typically jinking run, with the Cork keeper grasping the lone Derry striker's attempted chip.

Derry's best effort was still to come as Curran thumped a 20-yard effort off the underside of the crossbar with McNulty beaten.

A low cross from Aaron Barry also threatened the Cork defence in the 72nd minute but John Caulfield's side were able to see out the remainder of the game without incident.

The defeat drops Derry to eighth in the 12-team Premier Division table and they remain only two points ahead of 11th-placed Limerick City, who occupy the relegation play-off spot.

Top Stories